Toronto The Bentway (was Under Gardiner) | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

What should be the permanent name for the park under the Gardiner?

• The Artery

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • The Bentway

Votes: 79 42.5%
  • Under Gardiner

Votes: 52 28.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 43 23.1%

• Total voters
This project is a big deal and a very visible and centrally located. I think a lot of people know of it already, and once it is underway people will spread the word.

Would love to see the "bents" painted. Especially if they were done in a gradience.

Notes from today's project email update:

We’re now officially The Bentway. Visit our new website!
Back in June, we announced that The Bentway was the clear winner of the run-off vote in our city-wide Project: Under Gardiner naming campaign. It’s a name that celebrates "the bents" – the column-and-beam structures that frame the spaces of what will soon become a vibrant urban trail. Today, we launch our new website. Come check it out at thebentway.ca.

View attachment 89770

What’s next?
Over the summer months and into the fall, our team advanced along many parallel tracks. We established The Bentway Conservancy, a new not-for-profit organization that will take over the reins of the project. We are now finalizing the design and working toward securing all the approvals required to begin construction later this fall. We’ll build out The Bentway with a series of phased openings in 2017 and 2018. In the coming weeks, we’ll have more important updates, but, for now, you’ll want to read this blog post from urban design lead Ken Greenberg, as we look toward the work ahead.

Someone thought it was a good idea not to place the "why is it called The Bentway" question at the top of the FAQ page.

Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 1,117
This project is a big deal and a very visible and centrally located. I think a lot of people know of it already, and once it is underway people will spread the word.

Would love to see the "bents" painted. Especially if they were done in a gradience.

I think it''s big deal to Waterfront Toronto and maybe the poel who will be near it but I don't see anyone going out of their way to go and see.

I think it''s big deal to Waterfront Toronto and maybe the poel who will be near it but I don't see anyone going out of their way to go and see.
You may be right but people said exactly that about the wonderful High Line Park in NYC and it is now a major tourist and local attraction. I guess we will all just need to wait and see.

You may be right but people said exactly that about the wonderful High Line Park in NYC and it is now a major tourist and local attraction. I guess we will all just need to wait and see.

It depends what they do with it. If it's full of interesting activities, people will come.

Good points. I see it the way I see Queens Quay poele will probably come to it to see what it is and then might walk away from it wondering what it is. For example a few years ago during doors open wehn Waterfront Toronto was showcasing the plans for it I was talking with a couple who had moved to the area from Chicago and were disappointed to know that there wasn't a beach downtown

Their latest email, sent today:

tO9xDLDH0-xl0JcPqSVoMkqjCZampHqs0JWlaqVPa_XjWCLnP5GwkmAaAxOiLRHO3y2huCEtnmhDUNOgsDCCQoKi_CLKHspQ5OAqGvBqh5UDnlPyKarI2HJYNH3S077W-HACibuIZeutJAXTlJ-39WPrSfgXvFKst4O5nDQ=s0-d-e1-ft

Learn more about programming and partnership opportunities at The Bentway

If you’re an arts and culture organization, event producer, music promoter, curator, neighbour, community organizer, recreational and wellness initiative or another type of programmer and are interested in being part of this project we would love to invite you to our Programming Information Session on November 8 from 3-5pm at the Fort York Visitor Centre, 250 Fort York Blvd.

We’ll give you background on the programming vision, explain the site layout and infrastructure and walk through the official Request for Expressions of Interest submission process.

If you can’t make it on November 8, please come to our second Information Session on Thursday, November 17, 10-12pm, Fort York Visitor Centre, 250 Fort York Blvd.

To ensure a spot to either session please RSVP to hello@thebentway.ca or call Kasia Gladki at 416-392-1038 x41.

Hope to see you there!

The Bentway Conservancy

Now that we even have a logo, is it time to change the title of the project in the database?

From today's newsletter update:

Submit your #bentwayidea by Nov 25 at 5PM EST.

ZvgYo2_SXp79LSsDXaKGpN99272Ok4zAsuzpw5hK3w11S-bO08vY2-lRPlwTQWMvzbphnooAQAZDt8Ot5njUurlF8-zUmRh0RHFcKYj64-hxzgeIbRylU1uaSUxOYiNIftd5X-UsV7ciFjVzpF9Ne12UlVGVlX4qEM83HAw=s0-d-e1-ft

The Bentway’s programs, events and activities will reveal the site’s hidden stories, reconnect visitors with this unique place, and transform the ordinary into the extraordinary. Tell us how you would use this space.

Submit your #bentwayidea by Nov 25: http://www.thebentway.ca/share-your-idea/

Back