Toronto The Bentway (was Under Gardiner) | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

What should be the permanent name for the park under the Gardiner?

• The Artery

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • The Bentway

Votes: 79 42.5%
  • Under Gardiner

Votes: 52 28.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 43 23.1%

• Total voters
From today's newsletter update:

Submit your #bentwayidea by Nov 25 at 5PM EST.

ZvgYo2_SXp79LSsDXaKGpN99272Ok4zAsuzpw5hK3w11S-bO08vY2-lRPlwTQWMvzbphnooAQAZDt8Ot5njUurlF8-zUmRh0RHFcKYj64-hxzgeIbRylU1uaSUxOYiNIftd5X-UsV7ciFjVzpF9Ne12UlVGVlX4qEM83HAw=s0-d-e1-ft

The Bentway’s programs, events and activities will reveal the site’s hidden stories, reconnect visitors with this unique place, and transform the ordinary into the extraordinary. Tell us how you would use this space.

Submit your #bentwayidea by Nov 25: http://www.thebentway.ca/share-your-idea/

Change the name.

#bentwayidea

It does, but brevity is the spice of wit, and you will be answering the questions "What's The Bentway?" and "Why's it called The Bentway?" and "Still, why'd they name it that?"

f

o

r

e

v

e

r

!

*seriously, forever.

Maybe the public can collectively concoct a fictitious backstory. Like there was a guy name John Bent who worked on the Gardiner. One day he mysteriously went missing on the job. Years later a bridge inspector noticed a piece of yellow hardhat and flannel sticking out one of the support columns. Although never examined further, it can only leave one to surmise that Mr Bent is encased in one of the columns. And that's why the park is called "Bentway".

Why is it called The Bentway?

It does, but brevity is the spice of wit, and you will be answering the questions "What's The Bentway?" and "Why's it called The Bentway?" and "Still, why'd they name it that?"

I believe this is what plaques, signage and the website are for.

Why is it called The Bentway?

ssttaahhhpp...unless you're serious, then I'm happy to explain.

EDIT: I'll do y'all one better:

PvS3WJM.png

Last edited:
ssttaahhhpp...unless you're serious, then I'm happy to explain.
I'm just trying to get everyone used to answering that question.

So yeah, please go ahead!

I still am surprised at the hate around here for the name. I think the Bentway is interesting, catchy, and is an interesting allusion to the bents that support the Gardiner above. *shrugs*

Back