Toronto Ten York Street Condos | 224.02m | 65s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

How many birds even fly at 215m up anyways? Surely migratory birds fly no higher than 100-150m.

Which was another point I made... Birds will likely encounter problems with the SMALL towers at HBS, let alone the monsters coming online in the next few years. I even told them many of you LIVE in one of those condos committing avian genocide. I was again met with a lot of 'you don't understand, birds this, birds that, migrations and too tall'. Senility is always an issue at that stage of your life.

Urban Toronto just has to come up with some pre prepared document that someone can print off for these meeting proving their points.. I.E. how high birds fly, how much traffic 1 condo parking spot causes (which is minimal downtown as the vast majority of travel for the condos residents is walking), how a 50 storey building blocks a view from a 20 floor building just as much as a building that is 40 floors high, etc.

The NIMBYs complaining to the city about a building blocking their view is akin to a person complaining to a movie theater because a tall person had the nerve to sit in front of them (in one of the last remaining seats in the theater)

If you ever want a CN Tower postcard shot from this angle again, be sure to take it before 10 York goes up

pbMHe.png

P.S. what does HBS stand for? Were there really no serious question about wind, sun and shadow, parking lot depth (is it going to be all above ground?), access to PATH? will the retail be another subway and tim hortons or is there demand for better tenants ...

Last edited:
If you ever want a CN Tower postcard shot from this angle again, be sure to do it before 10 York goes up

Postcards from that angle? Where are you buying postcards my friend?

P.S. what does HBS stand for? Were there really no serious question about wind, sun and shadow, parking lot depth (is it going to be all above ground?), access to PATH? will the retail be another subway and tim hortons or is there demand for better tenants ...
Humber Bay Shores.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you ever want a CN Tower postcard shot from this angle again, be sure to take it before 10 York goes up

pbMHe.png

pretty stupid when they showed that part and said cn towers gonna be blocked there is already 67 story ice going up there blocking it.

24 people distributed as follows:

- 17 female
- 21 white
- 21 ages 55 to 65
- 17 are all of the above!

I was merely saying they don't seem to represent a diverse group, certainly not the people I see living on the Waterfront.

Sounds absolutely lovely. These people seriously need to grow up, for lack of a better term...

It's so much easier to defend not building the building than defending the building to be built. I mean defended a building is like defending a Bryan Adams song, you like it and most people do but no one will ever admit it. Defending a building would be superficial and childish, but defending not building a build is way easier because there is some maturity and a bit of logic. I know the number of people who want this building built greatly out numbers the people who don't want this built but the people who want it built won't come out. Maybe their too scared. And the point of this building blocking the view of the CN tower(which i doubt it does) should be researched and studied to see just how much of the CN tower it would block. The CN tower isn't that nice anyways so why the fuss. The building in my opinion should be built at 75 stories and this would bring a lot of money to the city. We should take a vote in the area at least so we can avoid having a small group ruining the potential skyline that millions of people could enjoy. Don't let them do what they did to giraffe on Dundas w. and Bloor. and the Rom tower...damn it!!!!!

Last edited:
I agree with Vaughan that this property probably does constitute a conflict of interest for the city. That said, IMO the few areas left to be developed in this area are ripe for height and losing a view of the CN tower is no argument for reducing height. In the end how tall a building is in this area shouldn't be the issue, area residents working as a group with the developer for stunning design in their neighbourhood is where efforts should be directed.

johnwood:

We should take a vote in the area at least so we can avoid having a small group ruining the potential skyline that millions of people could enjoy.

There are very legitimate reasons for saying that increased density and height is not a bad idea for the site, and that blocking CN tower is bit of a non-issue - but having an equally small group arguing that we should make planning decisions on the basis of what it does to the skyline? Really? That someone a few extra floors will make the skyline gone from unremarkable to superb? Not the quality of the architecture, not the use of materials...but height?

And if you want to play this "populist" route - do recall the general "wall of condos along the waterfront" refrain before quoting the "millions will enjoy" aspect.

insertrealname:

Urban Toronto just has to come up with some pre prepared document that someone can print off for these meeting proving their points.. I.E. how high birds fly, how much traffic 1 condo parking spot causes (which is minimal downtown as the vast majority of travel for the condos residents is walking), how a 50 storey building blocks a view from a 20 floor building just as much as a building that is 40 floors high, etc.

UT isn't about tall buildings per se - it's about "good" buildings. And good buildings isn't just about how high or low bird flies, how much traffic 1 condo parking lot causes, or what blockage a building will cause to the view of another. It is about the totality of the project and the context to which it belongs.

AoD

Last edited:
obviously it is, but often good buildings create huge uproars simply because it is taller than anything else in the community. A building could not cast shadows on any park, have amazing street level interaction, and an amazing architectural design, but yet still get cut down.

also, its INNSERTNAMEHERE, not INSERTREALNAME. :)

Of course, one of the bigger stinks was the perceived height of the two towers.. 65 floors was considered 'outrageous' at HBS. I calmly explained to the crowd that as a pedestrian, you will hardly notice the difference between 55 (tallest approved tower at HBS) and 65 stories. Then I was met with a barrage of 'but the birds will notice'. I thought I was part of a Monty Python skit for a while..

Hahaha. Someone think of the birds!

Back