Toronto Ten York Street Condos | 224.02m | 65s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

My apologies for getting your alias wrong, insertnamehere. Anyways, what I am pointing out is that producing a document specifically on the points you've mentioned previously dilutes the contextual argument, that it isn't just these discreet aspects taken piecemeal and without context that matters. And like it or not, there are instances where taller than the rest of the community around it can be a bad thing, where it can create a deleterious impact of a valued view corridor. The question isn't whether these issues are valid - but whether they are justifiable for the context in which it occurs.

AoD

its ok, I often confuse people as well. :)

There are instances where the proposed height is too much (take the U of T residence for example) but the majority of the proposals I see are quite fine for height if you ask me. I found that 501 Yonge was fine for height as proposed (though design certianly needed to be improved), as well as 460 Yonge. 50 Bloor should actually be taller, and same with this one. we should be seeing 270m here if you ask me, not the 240ish meters we will end up with. I in no way expect people to automatically come out in full support of a project as soon as it is proposed, but rather I wish people would stop harping on height of buildings when they are located in locations that should be receiving height. (Bloor to the lakeshore, Spadina to Jarvis) I find height to be one of the least important things to worry about for proposals in the downtown core, as I would much rather Ensure that the buildings met the streetlevel as well as possible and that the architecture meets standards.

For those who were at the meeting, what was the reaction from the panel members. Snickers and jaw dropping awe at the response from the crowd, or a tight lipped, lets get out of here and get a beer attitude.
Too bad about the reduction in height. Maybe they will apply for an increase after they get approval for construction, and enough sales.

The height reduction I believe has to do with two things: 1) it is a gesture to the local residents, bringing this tower close to the height range being built at Ãce across the Gardiner (67s) and what's being requested immediately to the east by Menkes (2x 70s), and 2) as the now triangular shaped tower is now wider than the previous version, wind loads on it will increase, so the height needs to come down to keep the sway down (without spending more on an increasingly thick and strong core and bulked-up inertial dampening).

The evolution of this design is proving to be interesting. The developer and architect sacked the first design(s) and that's good, because the concepts were already old while still on the drawing board, then this rumoured wedge thing which, from what I can tell, doesn't seem very nice at all. Wallman can do so much better. I get the feeling we still haven't seen the final render.

No, the floor heights were not increased.

So now its not just the archiecture that will be mediocre, now it won't stand out for height either. Disappointing yet again. Just another apartmement building.

I sure hope the developer makes a whack of cash!

The York Quay Neighbourhood Association celebrates it's win by hosting an upbeat party. Tea and crumpets were catered specifically for the event (Ambulances were also on standby).

yqna_party_at_ulla_s_lhd4.jpg

Back