Toronto Tableau Condominiums | 124.05m | 36s | Urban Capital | Wallman Architects

Theatres and other Entertainment venues are great.. for the people interested in that sort of thing (and have the money), but what about Toronto's (disappearing) nightlife? It was never at Montreal or New York's level but it was up there.. something for people 19-30 to do on a Friday or Saturday night for less than $100. It's slowly disappearing (over 90 nightclubs to less than 30 in 30 years). As much as middle-aged John Lithgow-from-Footloose types don't want clubs there cause it's "too loud" and "too rambunctious" and "too fun", I don't want to see my city turn into a place that dies at 10 pm (see: somewhat Vancouver and Calgary). I want it to keep a reputation of being an interesting city with a good nightlife.

The current nightclub scene is nothing to be proud of (Jersey Shore of the north?). These buidlings can be put to far more advantageous uses for both the land owners and neighbourhood residents. Was it really so great having it crammed into a few dense blocks, anyway? Spreading it throughout the city would lead to a more organic and less homogenous scene. Squeezing ninety Top 40 clubs onto a short stretch of Richmond doesn't bring us any closer to London or NYC status.

I highly doubt there was ever 90 nightclubs here, unless of course you're counting small pubs, with a couple of stools. The definition of a nightclub normal means there is a substantially large dance floor, live DJ, etc. There is no way there was ever 90 at one point in time, maybe 30 clubs over the course of 30 years with names that changed their names every couple of years to stay fresh.

I highly doubt there was ever 90 nightclubs here, unless of course you're counting small pubs, with a couple of stools. The definition of a nightclub normal means there is a substantially large dance floor, live DJ, etc. There is no way there was ever 90 at one point in time, maybe 30 clubs over the course of 30 years with names that changed their names every couple of years to stay fresh.

I dont know about those numbers, but i know at one time in the 90s it was home to one of the largest concentrations of night clubs in North America.

The city is really growing, areas like Leslieville, Queen West West, Ossington (nbhd name?), King east, king west, liberty village....etc.. All these areas have potential to hold clubs. Having them all in one spot meant at 2 or 3 am everyone comes out at once, tanked, and many misunderstood people start crap with other misunderstood people, and since everyone is already 'gone' the spark is not hard to ignite. With the city growth in new areas, each area will be able to have a few clubs that cater to different diverse wants. I don't see how that can be as bad as monotony on the club scene all in one spot. Vodka bars, specialty clubs, instead of the typical persian rugs and moxie like everything. Personally I haven't wanted to go to clubland for years, there are plenty of clubs outside with dancefloors (and clientel) that are much more relaxed and fun to party with.

Cheers!

The current nightclub scene is nothing to be proud of (Jersey Shore of the north?). These buidlings can be put to far more advantageous uses for both the land owners and neighbourhood residents. Was it really so great having it crammed into a few dense blocks, anyway? Spreading it throughout the city would lead to a more organic and less homogenous scene. Squeezing ninety Top 40 clubs onto a short stretch of Richmond doesn't bring us any closer to London or NYC status.

Couldn't agree more. Why not have our nightlife spread all over the city? Maybe then the inner suburbs wouldn't be as painfully dull as they are.

I completely agree that forcing all of the city's nightclubs into one neighbourhood was a very bad policy, though in some ways it could be convenient for patrons. We'd be much better off with a more evenly-distributed nightlife, if we didn't try to stamp it out wherever it pops up (i.e. Ossington).

Couldn't agree more. Why not have our nightlife spread all over the city? Maybe then the inner suburbs wouldn't be as painfully dull as they are.

Problem is the city's draconian regulations prevent nightclubs from popping up all over the city. By destroying the clubbing district we are paving the way for the return of Toronto the Good.

Laughable. Talk to us in 15 years...when you've entered your mid-30s....

I haven't really been gone clubbing in a while... But I appreciate it being there. That area once had this great, electric vibe which has been eroding steadily in the past few years. What are we left with now? A few clubs here and there in the clubbing district, Guvernment, a whole lot of hipster trash in the west and... I'm beat

I haven't really been gone clubbing in a while... But I appreciate it being there. That area once had this great, electric vibe which has been eroding steadily in the past few years. What are we left with now? A few clubs here and there in the clubbing district, Guvernment, a whole lot of hipster trash in the west and... I'm beat

The club managers don't own the properties, and there is a great demand for downtown residences. Times change. Nightlife goes on in a different form than what you want. Too bad. That's life.

The number of clubs in the area has dropped into the 50's (including west of Spadina to Bathurst). For some people, that's a small number that appears to be equal to nothing. The number is likely to drop a little lower in the next couple of years due to on-going development and AGCO enforcement of those clubs that perform poorly and have collected a bunch of infractions. However, it's likely that given the growing downtown population, some clubs will be able to thrive due to the residents moving into the area.

I certainly wouldn't lament the transition of this neighborhood from a developing-adults late night clubbing district into one that is more rounded; for me this is just indication that the city is growing and maturing. Actually this is one of the better looking and more sophisticated towers proposed in recent years. The podium is very urban, somewhat miesien, and the sculptural element adds colour and dynamism at street level. I don't like one side of the podium, which I take it to be a saved facade from the existing building. Architecturally I'm not sure if there is much there worth saving, unless it has some sort of historical significance.

Wow..3-1/2 years since they announced this project...and according to DCN and other sources, still a year (june 2012) from ground breaking...:confused:
And here i thought this area was a hot condo market

CONDOMINIUM BUILDING
Proj: 9129624-2
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
WORKING DRAWINGS
Tableau Condominium, 117 Peter St, Richmond St, Queen St W, M5V
$40,000,000 est
Start: June, 2012 Complete: June, 2013
Note:
Sales and marketing are underway. Working drawings began early spring 2011. Timeframe for completion is undetermined pending sales. Schedules for tender for general contractor and construction will be finalized early 2012 based on occupancy. Further update late 2011.
Project:
concrete foundation, cast-in-place concrete structural frame, fuel fired heating system, proposed construction of a 36-storey condominium building on a table-like structure. The table structure will be built above a four storey heritage building and extending out and down to the ground below creating a covered outdoor plaza in front of the building itself. The condominium building will have 415 units that will range in size from 405 to 1,850 sq ft. Ammenity space will be found at the fourth floor, where the table, heritage building and tower interact, and will include; a fitness facility and yoga room; theatre; games and billiards parlour; party room and show kitchen; library; conference room; guest suite; and private outdoor cabana rooms.
Scope:
355,000 square feet; 36 storeys; 2 structures; 415 units; 2 acres

http://dcnonl.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?...c94fd9144b60&projectid=9129624&region=ontario

Last edited:
Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5V 2G9

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 11 313214 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Nov 21, 2011

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Demolition

Description: Proposal to demolish existing 3 storey commercial building. See 11 234039 for proposed mixed use condo.

Back