News   Aug 07, 2024
 246     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 322     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 266     0 

Toronto Street Food

Damn you! Now I'm craving a hot dog... :rolleyes:

Toronto's street meat is the best! NYC has little weiners that are often nearly raw when they make it to your bun. Speaking of bun, I asked a street vender in NYC to toast my bread a bit... he gave me a weird look as if I was trying to teach him how to do his job. He didn't toast it.

In Barbados I had a hot dog with crushed potato chips as a topping that was very delicious. Mind you after a night of many double rum & cokes and beers anything will taste good. But I agree, more selection would be nice. I do like the chip trucks scattered around and there is that Chinese food vendor/truck around U of T.

Yeah I used to be wary, and lots of people are, but I've had the dogs lots of times and never gotten ill. They're essentially your Schneiders quality dogs/sausages.

I actually do think the veggie idea might be a nice alternative too, my first comment was mostly in jest. Sushi though, I'd be a little wary of.

Yeah I used to be wary, and lots of people are, but I've had the dogs lots of times and never gotten ill. They're essentially your Schneiders quality dogs/sausages.

I actually do think the veggie idea might be a nice alternative too, my first comment was mostly in jest. Sushi though, I'd be a little wary of.

I said veggie sushi.. there is another word for it I think..

I'm not brave enough to touch street meat because I got really sick once, I was a dull shade of green for a week and had experienced every unpleasant symptom of food poisoning... all this from a street sausage.

there is that Chinese food vendor/truck around U of T

My husband used to bring me some great food from that truck, I think he told me that truck is no more??

I don't know if the truck is still in use, it's been a while since I ventured through the U of T campus.

Re: hot dogs. Most vendors get there wieners from the wholesaler on Widmer just north of the Festival Tower site. I would imagine they are of high quality as far as hot dogs and sausages go. I've eaten street meat for years and never gotten sick before. On another note, hot dog vendors in Vancouver have to follow health guidelines and pass inspections. Are there inspections carried out at Toronto vendors?

Are there inspections carried out at Toronto vendors?

From the second link in the first post.

Toronto Health Regulations said:
Before your hot dog cart can be put to use, it must meet the requirements of the Ontario Food Premises Regulation 562/90. If your cart has never been licensed, phone the Public Health Department to make an appointment to have your cart inspected. If you already have a license, then an Public Health Inspector (or Environmental Health Officer) will periodically check that your hot dog cart is equipped and operated according to the regulations.

As for your illness from the food junction_parents, it was likely caused by an incompetent vendor who served hot dogs that'd expired. Unfortunate yes, and I see why you're wary; however this could happen anywhere, even in better restaurants.

Unfortunately you can't quite buy it here, because of Toronto's laws, but my Ultimate Hot Dog™ includes: grilled onions, crispy (real) bacon bits, hot peppers, ketchup, splash of hot sauce, melted cheese, and of course the dog, served on a toasted bun. Maybe pickles too, if they aren't the sweet variety.

As for your illness from the food junction_parents, it was likely caused by an incompetent vendor who served hot dogs that'd expired. Unfortunate yes, and I see why you're wary; however this could happen anywhere, even in better restaurants.

oh I agree... the street meat smells pretty good, looks ok but I'd rather chew grass than risk it again :)

just thought of something, the tiny (long and thin) smoked kolbassa (spicy and regular) from Ukrainian/Polish delis would be great street meat

Toronto's hot dogs beat Montreal Steamies - at least that's one food we have them beat. I've had street meat occasionally for years - it's a cheap, safe (but not necessarily healthy) and sometimes tasty lunch.

...with grilled vegetables on the side.

It was too late for a hotdog (none that I know if operating @ midnight) so I went to Café Dip. for a nice juicy panino.. yum!

The service was horrible... Why is that place still so popular? They haven't reno'd that place since the 80's..

nothing like a shopsy's beef hot dog. our hot dog carts sell some tasty product, unlike those boiled nathan's wieners they sell down in yankeeville.

the soft pretzels would be a nice addition though.

Back