News   Aug 07, 2024
 415     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 379     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 297     0 

Toronto Street Food

I'm surprised Ford hasn't jumped on this yet. (Or has he?)
I'm not sure of how the optics would look of Ford jumping on the food band wagon!

The left wingers will criticize the punitive fees on hardworking immigrants who are just trying to bring a bit of their culture to the masses of Toronto.
I've criticized simply how bureaucratic this is. Why they couldn't simply have expanded the program for hot dog and chip wagons, and simply said they could cook whatever they want, using off-the-shelf equipment - as long they pass regular food inspection - just like restaurants already do. I don't see this as a left-wing, right-wing issue ...

I'm not sure of how the optics would look of Ford jumping on the food band wagon!

I've criticized simply how bureaucratic this is. Why they couldn't simply have expanded the program for hot dog and chip wagons, and simply said they could cook whatever they want, using off-the-shelf equipment - as long they pass regular food inspection - just like restaurants already do. I don't see this as a left-wing, right-wing issue ...

You're right, I think most everyone would agree. This has nothing to do with left or right, it has to do with bad management. The city needs to give these people a break and scrap the red tape.

I didn't mean that it was a left or right issue. It's just something that fits in nicely with the generic right wing pro-business rhetoric that might as well be taken from south of the border. The issue is, in reality, something that should appeal to anyone on all sides of the political spectrum.

This was doomed to fail right from the beginning with all this insane red-tape. These bureaucrats should take a look at the food carts of Philly or NYC or any other major city for that matter! and see how it's done properly.

No one seem to have asked the bigger question of what role does the existing hot dog vendors have in this whole affair - was there a concerted lobbying effort in their part? They are the ones who have the most to gain from a program like this failing afterall...

AoD

No one seem to have asked the bigger question of what role does the existing hot dog vendors have in this whole affair - was there a concerted lobbying effort in their part? They are the ones who have the most to gain from a program like this failing afterall...

AoD

I really come to question the integrity and backbone of my municipla government if a bunch of hotdog vendors have enough lobbying power to influence policy making...

I assume it was restaurant owners who had no desire to lose business - some of them seem well connected. The hot dog vendors would just start selling other things if their business was impacted - they don't care.

Back