Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Re: Good

Comments like that just make him look like a total fool.

The Trump brand isn't what it used to be. I wonder if the tower's backers are regretting their decision to be fronted by a character whose image has declined into reality-TV kitsch? The word "Trump" might signify many things, but not "respectable."

Re: Trumptoronto

I think the Trump brand remains the same. It's just that 1980's values ain't what they used to be.

The 1980s might signify many things, but not "respectable."

so what day is this supposed announcement supposed to take place?

Maybe never. Doesn't sound very upbeat for a guy that's always upbeat when it comes to his projects.

www.theglobeandmail.com/s...uery=trump

Trump touts soft markets in cities like Toronto
GORDON PITTS
TORONTO -- Donald Trump almost lost his shirt 15 years ago when the North American real estate bubble burst. The 2007 version of that disaster will be much more benign, the real estate magnate predicts, although there is softness in some urban markets, such as Toronto and San Francisco.

"We're talking very minor [problems] compared with the depression of the early 1990s," Mr. Trump said yesterday in a phone interview from Los Angeles.

Mr. Trump said he is poised to invest in depressed property as the downturn moves through individual cities. "People have been talking about the end of the cycle for 12 years, and I'm excited if it is," he said. "I've always made more money in bad markets than in good markets."

One of those soft-market cities could be Toronto, where Mr. Trump acknowledges sales of a projected Trump luxury condo and hotel complex on Bay Street are not doing as well as first anticipated.

"It's a different market than it was -- it is going more slowly," he said, adding that his sales people are being extremely cautious. "I would rather have them be cautious than rush into anything," he said.

He predicted the Toronto project would go ahead, but then added "if it doesn't, I'm going to be in Toronto anyway."

He said Toronto is one of the great cities where he intends to have a real estate presence.

The New York developer's rebound from near bankruptcy in the early 1990s helped buff his reputation as a deal maker, contributing to his current media celebrity. He will be in Toronto this weekend for one of the roaming "real estate wealth expos" put on by the Learning Annex, a private educational outfit. His $1.5-million (U.S.) fee for the event will go to charity.

Mr. Trump shrugged off concerns that a crisis in U.S. subprime mortgage lending, which caters to poor credit risks, would spread to the wider property market, including Mr. Trump's luxury buildings.

"I don't see the subprime problems affecting the higher-end stuff," he said. In fact, he is advising investors that there are now great deals in buying subprime mortgages at a discount and repossessed houses at low prices.

Mr. Trump, 60, said that as he got older, he became more conservative in his borrowing. "I'm the most underleveraged now than I've ever been in my life. I almost feel uncomfortable."

While he would not disclose his debt load, he said it was far below proportional levels of 1992, when his much smaller holdings were carrying $9-billion (U.S.) in debt, including $900-million personally guaranteed by him.

As values plummeted, he became dramatically overleveraged. He denied reports that he was bailed out by his wealthy family, insisting that, while his family provided verbal support, he escaped ruin through the patience of his banks.

Mr. Trump said that his current low-debt portfolio represents a bet that the market will remain somewhat soft for some time. If he is wrong, and the market is about to roll higher, it would be better to have more leverage on his books.

"I think I'm in great shape because I think the market is a little unsettling, I think the war in Iraq is a total catastrophe, I think it's been handled horribly by the President and lot of crazy things can happen."

For the moment, he said, conditions vary widely from city to city. New York and Los Angeles are very strong, he said, while Chicago is "okay," and San Francisco joins Toronto in the weaker category.

He said that two years ago, when the market was at an all-time high, he was telling people not to buy real estate. "Now I'm telling them to do it."

Re: Trumptoronto

I'm not really noticing softness here in Toronto, frankly. The states is tanking as predicted as defaults rise on their interestingly-financed mortgages. Perhaps those in the business could indicate whether there is "softness" here. Maybe for Trump, and calling Sapphire soft is kind, but everything else seems to be humming along nicely.

RE: Trump Toronto

This wasn't really that "good" of an announcement was it? I'm going to assume this wasn't the announcement Trumptoronto was talking about last week. Hmm ... that article is interesting.

I hope this wasn't the announcement, anybody could have predicted something like this in the paper whith Trump coming to town.

And trumptoronto berated us for being negative? Heck, the overly optimistic hype artist himself, Trump, is negative towards the project.

Toronto market is not soft, it remains healthy. Trump doesn't get it, that his "brand" is not as stronge and well liked here vs. US.

If I can afford to get a million dollar condo, Trump tower will be the last on my list.

- Ritz Carlton
- Shangri La
- Four Seasons
- Hazelton
- Bedford

Re: RE: Trump Toronto

The market isn't "soft", but it is softening. Traffic through sales centres has reportedly slowed a bit in Q1. There is a bit more caution in the wind, however there are a significant number of new projects opening this spring - developers are certainly still bullish on the market. The first-time home buyer segment is slowing more rapidly then other segments (luxury, move-up and empty nestor/move-down) that are increasing in market share.

It's a little odd that Trump is making reference to the building when he is not bankrolling it. Isn't Alex Schnaider the financial muscle? (pardon the spelling if it is wrong).

As for the Toronto market being soft, maybe Trump is making reference to the high end real estate market. Regardless, I hope this building goes up.

Any Rupert Pupkin with a limited fantasy life can claim to be speaking on behalf of someone famous and quote imaginary sales figures plucked from the ether.

Trump is an attractive brand for people who have more money than taste, or for the nouveau-riche or wannabe moguls. Personally, if I could afford to I would pick the Four Seasons or Hazelton or the like, and I suspect many others with money would as well.

It will be a huge contrast if there is an announcement coming this week that completely contradicts everything Trump just said. I find it hard to believe that he could be that out of the loop on one of his projects that he doesn't know is doing better than he thought. He must have gotten some news this project wasn't doing well to actually come out and admit it.

Back