Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

I didn't read anywhere in that post about a scheduled construction date. Nice to know the sales figures but when is construction? Is that being announced next week? You didn't mention an announcement in your post but perhaps it was mentioned on the other forums.

Considering this grand proposal was initiated about 6-7 years ago, a major tenant drops out, a fraud artist is uncoverd, the principal character who bears the name keeps arms length connections to the project, and above all the site still today remains an empty asphalt parking lot... I don't think some skeptical rumblings and rolls-eyes smiley's are out of order here.

When's the construction date again?

What's this announcement?

Trumptoronto ...

You should give us a hint about what next week's announcement is about. Is it a good announcement or a not-so-good announcement?

Funny article from The Star

Trump not afraid to take a stand

Mogul takes a break from war of words with comedian to fire a few shots at Toronto's own Harry Stinson (who fires back). Next up could be an appearance at Black's trial

Mar 17, 2007 04:30 AM
Tony Wong
business reporter

Flamboyant celebrity billionaire Donald Trump says he hasn't been subpoenaed to appear as a witness at the trial of Conrad Black in Chicago, but would if he is asked.

The real estate mogul is expected to appear as a star witness in the trial of the embattled media baron who is charged with racketeering, wire and mail fraud, tax evasion, money laundering, racketeering and obstruction of justice.

"That's what I keep hearing, that I'm supposed to be at this thing," Trump said yesterday in a phone interview from New York. The developer was coy about exactly what he would say once on the witness stand.

"I think I'd rather save it all for the trial."

Trump also declined to answer whether he was a friend of Black, although reports indicate that he was at a controversial birthday bash for Black's wife Barbara Amiel in 2000, that allegedly cost $62,000 (U.S.). Prosecutors allege that the party, part of it paid for by Black's Hollinger media company, was an example of fraudulent use of funds. Black has denied all charges.

The star of the TV hit show The Apprentice wasn't at a loss for words however, on his upcoming Learning Annex seminar in Toronto next weekend, for which he will be paid $1.5 million.

"One and a half million, that's all they're paying, it's not much, but I'm going to give it to charity," quipped Trump in his typical over-the-top-fashion.

Trump said he expects to talk about "success. How to make money, and why some people aren't cut out to be entrepreneurs. While it's a negative thought, it's important. I've saved a lot of people grief by telling them they shouldn't be in business."

Trump is also building a luxury condominium and hotel on Bay Street, but after more than two years of sales, rumours are rampant that the project is moribund.

The developer dismissed the speculation yesterday, saying the tower was "doing very well. They just notified me recently how well it was doing. It's a really fantastic site and I'm really happy with it."

However, when asked about actual sales figures, Trump declined to answer, saying he would know better "in a few weeks." He did acknowledge that this has been the longest it's taken to sell one of his developments.

"I've got buildings going up all over the world and this is the longest I've ever been in a project."

Trump could not give a date on ground breaking, but he said he expected it to be sometime this year.

When asked whether he thought his recent nasty feud with comedian Rosie O'Donnell might have hurt his upmarket brand and sales of his luxury towers, Trump said the opposite is true.

"It was very good for my brand. She's a bully and I beat her up. It's always nice for a brand when you can beat up a bully," Trump said.

"Everyone knows she's a slob and I was the only person who fought against that big slob. She said she suffered from depression, I told her to stop looking in the mirror.

"That solved her problem overnight."

Trump's dispute with O'Donnell, a co-host on television's The View, began after he announced that Miss USA Tara Conner would keep her title despite an underage drinking incident while in New York. Trump owns the pageant.

O'Donnell had said Trump, who is twice divorced, had no right to be the "moral compass of 20-year-olds in America."

Trump also wasn't afraid to dish the dirt on Toronto developer Harry Stinson, who will also be speaking at the Learning Annex. Stinson recently started selling his luxury Sapphire Tower project in Toronto's financial district.

"I hear my competitor went bankrupt. He was talking a good game then all of a sudden he files for Chapter 11," said Trump, referring to American bankruptcy legislation.

"He was talking about how he was going to beat Trump and then he went bust. Why can't all my competitors be like that."

Stinson's company isn't bankrupt, but he recently filed for protection under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act at the Superior Court of Justice for another project.

This doesn't affect the Sapphire Tower.

"I find it rather ironic he's making such comments when he himself had to go that route to protect one of his own companies, which has come out stronger as a result," said Stinson.

"Maybe I should build the Rosie O'Donnell tower for people who aren't fashion models but at least know how to comb their hair."

the funny thing is, Trump is very familiar with Chapter 11 himself.

Re: What's this announcement?

Funny to hear Stinson criticising someone else about their hairstyle!

Re: Trumptoronto

1. Neither man should be critical of anyone's hair. That's a given.
2. Donald is a marketer and he knows how to keep the Trump brand in the spotlight.
3. Harry should be careful who he picks a fight with.

"It was very good for my brand. She's a bully and I beat her up. It's always nice for a brand when you can beat up a bully," Trump said.

"Everyone knows she's a slob and I was the only person who fought against that big slob. She said she suffered from depression, I told her to stop looking in the mirror.

"That solved her problem overnight."

This may have got him publicity, but who in the market for a high end product would be more interested after hearing such juvenile attacks?

"I find it rather ironic he's making such comments when he himself had to go that route to protect one of his own companies, which has come out stronger as a result," said Stinson.

"Maybe I should build the Rosie O'Donnell tower for people who aren't fashion models but at least know how to comb their hair."

I have to admit...that's actually not bad! This could actually help Stinson out, if anything...

Good

Of course, it's a good announcement! If it were bad... do you think I'd want to mention it :)

Re: Trumptoronto

Trump's remarks very very 'vintage trump'. He sounds like a great guy to be on your side, but a bastard to battle against.

Trump's remarks very very 'vintage trump'. He sounds like a great guy to be on your side, but a bastard to battle against.

I might want his money on my side but I wouldn't want him. Comments like that just make him look like a total fool.

Back