Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

The union representing contract faculty and teaching assistants at York University has voted to go on strike as of Monday. In past strikes, TTC buses have stayed off campus. Now the subway station should be unaffected by picket lines. I wonder how many of the non-striking York commuters will switch from driving to the subway?

The union representing contract faculty and teaching assistants at York University has voted to go on strike as of Monday. In past strikes, TTC buses have stayed off campus. Now the subway station should be unaffected by picket lines. I wonder how many of the non-striking York commuters will switch from driving to the subway?

I wonder if the TTC will Bypass York University on the subway system to avoid crossing picket lines. Theoretically they could do it as Pioneer Village is still quite close to York U while not being on campus.

I wonder if the TTC will Bypass York University on the subway system to avoid crossing picket lines. Theoretically they could do it as Pioneer Village is still quite close to York U while not being on campus.

What? How would that be avoiding crossing picket lines? That's not what "crossing" means--for one, under your definition trains would have to turn back at Pioneer Village and Finch West, and crossing a picket line really only applies when you actually go through it, i.e. not underground (and presumably offset some distance to the side--I doubt the picketers are setting up exactly above the tracks, more likely along roads). Do flight attendants refuse to fly on any flight passing over York University in solidarity? For bus drivers it's different, and there's also the practical consideration of the hour+ wait times and severe unpredictability which destroys service, compared to just stopping outside the area. There is no conceivable reason not to service the station--if any of the subway operators disagree, they should find new employment, because this isn't North Korea, and last time I checked people were still free to do that when dissatisfied with their work environment...

Unlikely. It's not as if the picketers completely block anyone from getting in, they just stall everyone. Besides, those who commute to universities/colleges with their car are unlikely to ditch their cars for transit since they already paid an exorbitant price for their parking pass

Ridership on the extension seemed pretty good during PM peak today. On the northbound subway train I was on, when we departed Sheppard West heading to Downsview Park I'd say about 60% of the seats were occupied, no standees; that seems like pretty high ridership to me. Then about 40 people were boarding the 5:53 PM northbound Barrie Line GO train at Downsview Park.

Ridership on the extension seemed pretty good during PM peak today. On the northbound subway train I was on, when we departed Sheppard West heading to Downsview Park I'd say about 60% of the seats were occupied, no standees; that seems like pretty high ridership to me. Then about 40 people were boarding the 5:53 PM northbound Barrie Line GO train at Downsview Park.

Although it's too early to tell, it's certainly less than Sheppard Subway ridership, however, peak direction traffic is in both directions for the extension. We'll see how things continue to play out.

What was the approx breakdown of alightments by station?

Back