Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I thought that they would have constructed a new building on the opposite side of Millway Ave, but maybe I thought wrong.

The Smart Centres letter refers to a "current vacancy" at Millway and Hwy 7. That doesn't sound like it refers to undeveloped land, but you might be right. The letter has that sense of urgency in it that suggests that Smart Centres won't wait for a new office to be built for them.

I think Narduch (quoted below) has pinned down what will happen. It's very likely that Smart Centres will eventually move into an as yet unannounced office tower and take the naming rights for it.

BTW it appears (by viewing the indoor lighting last night) that KPMG tower has just one vacant floor left.

I'm pretty sure the Future Shop / Home Outfitters is just a temporary home for Smart Centres.

I wonder if that will be a 2-story Walmart. That plot of land seems small for a Walmart.

It seems that Walmart has already given Smart Centres a detailed plan of how they want the new store laid out. The letter refers to a 30% smaller store space for the relocation (from 200,000 sq ft to 140,000 sq ft). If that is the case, then it will definitely fit fine within the current property of the Smart Centres and Kumon buildings.

This is the plot of land they're talking about. I don't think it's small--it's about the same size. It's possible that the heliport area will stay, though.

Concord.PNG

Attachments

• Concord.PNG
    Concord.PNG
    766.3 KB · Views: 430
This thread has officially surpassed the stupidity levels of the 10 pages on bathrooms. Are we not able to talk about the actual ridership of this thing? Its performance? What about the utilization of Downsview Park Station, or when HWY 407 station will likely be converted to the full GO bus terminal?

What about the utilization of Downsview Park Station, or when HWY 407 station will likely be converted to the full GO bus terminal?

I rode the southbound 10:41 Aurora GO - 11:33 Union Station train today, stopping at Downsview Park at 11:13 AM. I would estimate about 15 people got off. 10 of them looked like they were very likely students (<30 years old, backpacks or laptop bags, likely habitual commuters as they were in the accessible coach that stops right by the subway building and seemed to have Presto defaults set as they were not tapping off, could have bought paper tickets but the overall picture looks like regular commuter students), a couple of others had large suitcases, likely heading to Pearson via Yorkdale. I've taken the 2:58 PM train north from there to Aurora a number of times, there are usually more like 30 people boarding that one, similarly a majority (20-25) seem to be students. And it's only been open for 2 months, plus York U GO remains open at rush hour...once it closes I think it'll be very well used.

I personally use it when going to Yorkdale, which I do somewhat often, and when I have business anywhere along that northwestern stretch of Line 1 anywhere between roughly York U and St Clair West (or St Clair via the 512, for that matter, still seems potentially advantageous vs. the Union backtrack). Gone to North York via the 199 and 94E buses out of Finch West and Sheppard West respectively by transferring there. Very good experience, can't remember how I lived without it.

407 will almost definitely be converted in June or September, after the current York U academic year ends and before the next one begins. I think that by September, York U GO station will close and trains will only service Downsview Park, all of the GO buses on both east and west routes will be cut back to 407 only, and YRT/Viva/Zum will probably cut service into the campus. There has been some debate on that with the revised agreement wording of north-south routes, but depending how technical they want to get some of those routes enter the campus from the north side; maybe the 407-based Zum route and one local YRT bus and a rush-hour-only Viva branch might continue but I think most of them, at least, will disappear. GO disappearing seems more certain, it makes a lot of sense for GO since 407 was basically purpose built for them and it saves them the long drive down and back up in heavy traffic. And the university, from what I understand, really wants buses gone so they can make that whole area a pedestrian commons.

This thread has officially surpassed the stupidity levels of the 10 pages on bathrooms. Are we not able to talk about the actual ridership of this thing? Its performance? What about the utilization of Downsview Park Station, or when HWY 407 station will likely be converted to the full GO bus terminal?

The line has been open for just two months. Considering that ridership patterns take multiple years to develop, maybe talking about ridership at this early point is a bit premature?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Had to take the extension from Pioneer Village Station today around 10am. Odd that all the PRESTO machines were down and I essentially walked in for free as one of the gates was left permanently open (I suppose because none of the gates were working). No Staff on hand. However, once I got down to the platform it was being well-used, a group of high-schoolers along with students heading to York U were on the platform and there was a steady stream of people at all the stations except for Downsview Park.

9UJJX1c.jpg

3GYlWso.jpg

3VR1eT7.jpg

The line has been open for just two months. Considering that ridership patterns take multiple years to develop, maybe talking about ridership at this early point is a bit premature?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Although true, is it not worth discussing current changes in commuting patterns? Sure, the average rate of change is interesting, but what happens in between is significantly more interesting. For instance, what if ridership spikes only on game days or tanks when free parking ends?

Back