Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

They should've built the TYSSE with a hard impenetrable wall at Vaughan "Metropolitan" so the subway could never be extended further northward again. Anything further north should be Metrolinx's responsibility.
I one-up you!

All subways, LRTs and Busways should be Metrolinx. Leave local provision to the locals.

Then subways, LRTs and Busways will be charge with a Fare by distance model if its owned by Metrolinx
That's coming anyway. You fail to realize the greater point: They are *inter-regional* and it would get us past the "my backyard" mentality that pervades the GTHA.

Reactions: jys
As a regular user of Eglinton Station, I think this is going to peeve me for the rest of my life.
The inconsistency really gets me too. "Eglinton Centre" or "Eglinton-Midtown" could have worked too. It would still be inconsistent from other system interchanges, but at least sets it a bit further apart from the other Eglinton's.

The inconsistency really gets me too. "Eglinton Centre" or "Eglinton-Midtown" could have worked too. It would still be inconsistent from other system interchanges, but at least sets it a bit further apart from the other Eglinton's.
ooh I like Eglinton-Midtown.

Then finally we can claim ownership of Midtown over St. Clair and Bloor. :p

I'm reminded of when the University Line first opened, and many of the stations had names even Torontonians were baffled by. "St Andrews" etc. It was only years later that the TTC came to realize how unindicative they were for wayfinding, and meekly, the names of the streets were included under the main names. Duh!

Some ethnics took offence as the names were all very Anglo-Saxon.

Their naming guidelines dictate that stations should be named after their neighbourhood. The neighbourhood in this case is Yonge and Eglinton. Why they didn't name it after that is anyone's guess.

I'm reminded of when the University Line first opened, and many of the stations had names even Torontonians were baffled by. "St Andrews" etc. It was only years later that the TTC came to realize how unindicative they were for wayfinding, and meekly, the names of the streets were included under the main names. Duh!

Some ethnics took offence as the names were all very Anglo-Saxon.

For a long time I was under the impression that St Patrick was named after the nearby St Patrick Street. It was pointed out to me that St Patrick Station and St Patrick Street got their name from a system of parishes.

I one-up you!

All subways, LRTs and Busways should be Metrolinx. Leave local provision to the locals.
Only problem with that is that you would would see subways extended to Oshawa, past Vaughan, and beyond Richmond Hill if that ever happened. Just look at the way Metrolinx neglects Toronto in favor of the 905.

Only problem with that is that you would would see subways extended to Oshawa, past Vaughan, and beyond Richmond Hill if that ever happened. Just look at the way Metrolinx neglects Toronto in favor of the 905.
That's not true though. Metrolinx cares a lot about Toronto, but their provincial overlords only allow for studies to be done, but no funding nor actual construction to those things that help Toronto.

It would be RER, as that's the best for inter-regional, not subways, which are very costly and inflexible.

That's not true though. Metrolinx cares a lot about Toronto, but their provincial overlords only allow for studies to be done, but no funding nor actual construction to those things that help Toronto.
But Toronto, especially the old City, are the ones who voted strongly for the provincial overlords - so in effect Toronto does not want funding or actual construction.

We'll just ignore that the largest infrastructure project in the entire country is a Metrolinx project being built entirely within Toronto.

Metrolinx is less involved in Toronto than the 905, generally, simply because Toronto has a more established transit infrastructure (both politically and physically, on its own.) Transit City was developed by Toronto but it was going to be entirely built and operated by Metrolinx. The fact that it isn't is entirely due to Toronto City Council changing its mind 4 or 5 times and choosing to assume responsibility for projects they didn't have to fund or operate (ie SSE, SmartTrack)).

But Toronto, especially the old City, are the ones who voted strongly for the provincial overlords - so in effect Toronto does not want funding or actual construction.
It's a bit like critiquing the way a prisoner in chains dances. Is he/she dancing to the left, then to the right due to intellectual bent, or due to the fact that the best the spasms can produce is convoluted movements in an attempt to breath, not dance?

Torontonians have been subjects of some very poor decisions. So has the surrounding GTHA. I'm not so sure it's the choice in voting, but just the constitutional straight-jacket being those chains.

Something has to change in the way choice is presented to the Pleb. The 'Toronto v. the Rest', just as the 'City v the Burbs' conundrum can only be solved by a different municipal/provincial structure.

Back