Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

At this point, the Spadina extension will get finished because it's 70% complete and contracts have already been issued to get to 90%.

At this point it makes not an iota of difference who the MPP is.

^This.

It's entirely possible that at this point, finishing the project as planned is actually cheaper than buying out the existing contracts, letting the contractors walk, and leaving a mostly-finished subway to rot.

This is reality. It's a long term reality, instead of short term, which is the point.

^but, at this point, the Spadina extension into Vaughan is going to be completed not because of who their MPP is ....it is going to be completed because billions have already been invested in it and it would make a very stupid decision to say ...."ah well, it's delayed so let's just scrap it".

^but, at this point, the Spadina extension into Vaughan is going to be completed not because of who their MPP is ....it is going to be completed because billions have already been invested in it and it would make a very stupid decision to say ...."ah well, it's delayed so let's just scrap it".

Not to mention it would be far more expensive to cancel than to complete. Most of the naysayers have failed to realize that cancellation costs are just as expensive. All you have to look at is the gas plant disaster by the libs last decade,
the Maritime helicopter project scrap by the fed libs in 1993 and Mike Harris' axe of the original Eglinton Subway in 1995.

I agree., although not using that language.

If the notion that Spadina will be finished because the MPP for the area cannot take the political fallout, that assumes the people in Vaughan care or know a subway is being built, or will use it. And #2, the MPP for Sheppard should then start sputting the same thing, that Sheppard East needs a subway and if not the Liberals will not take that seat.

I don't understand how York is the least completed % wise. it does not make sense

It's not so much the extension itself but the Highway 407 and PV stations that shouldn't have been built. The York U station could have been served as the Steeles station with an underground bus terminal.

haha, we have so many areas in the more dense part of the city that desperate need more subways, yet we pour billion to connect somewhere like black creek pioneer village - whatever the hell that is. York U is as far it should/need to go.

The whole project is sort of a joke. And if Y/B can support, we are building subways to Richmond Hills, oh yeah!

haha, we have so many areas in the more dense part of the city that desperate need more subways, yet we pour billion to connect somewhere like black creek pioneer village - whatever the hell that is. York U is as far it should/need to go.

Shows how little you know considering Black Creek could be called Steeles West. It will get a lot of traffic just from the Steeles bus let alone York U.

Shows how little you know considering Black Creek could be called Steeles West. It will get a lot of traffic just from the Steeles bus let alone York U.

Exactly.....the PV station is, essentially, the north stop for York Campus and serves Steeles. I expect that PV and the York Station will operate very much like the way Museum and St. George serve the UofT campus. You will get on/off at either one depending on where you are going on campus. I go to a couple of tennis matches a year.....will likely use the PV station.....if I was headed for the heart of the campus I would likely use the York Station.

No one is building a subway to Pioneer Village, they are (rightly or wrongly) just using its proximity to name the station. Just as no one ever imagined, as an example, that a subway was needed to serve a nice old church on King Street...they just used its name for a stop.

Exactly.....the PV station is, essentially, the north stop for York Campus and serves Steeles. I expect that PV and the York Station will operate very much like the way Museum and St. George serve the UofT campus. You will get on/off at either one depending on where you are going on campus. I go to a couple of tennis matches a year.....will likely use the PV station.....if I was headed for the heart of the campus I would likely use the York Station.

No one is building a subway to Pioneer Village, they are (rightly or wrongly) just using its proximity to name the station. Just as no one ever imagined, as an example, that a subway was needed to serve a nice old church on King Street...they just used its name for a stop.

The TTC needs to rename Osgoode, St. Andrew and St. Patrick. Those station names have little notable relationship to their geographic position.

Back