Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

If they wanted to go to a uni with a subway why didn't they go to uoft or ryerson

I think it’s highly likely that a good proportion of those who enrolled at York U between now and perhaps 2012 may have made their choice based on the subway’s 2015 opening date. Some may have specifically opted out of U of T or Ryerson for this reason. It's a big school, and a direct RT connection was a long time in the making.

^even if it opened later this year, someone starting at York in 2012 would have have seen 1 year of 4 year undergrad degree served by a subway....if that is how people are picking their schools I may start siding with those who think we have watered down the value of a university degree by making it far too accessible ;)

I think it’s highly likely that a good proportion of those who enrolled at York U between now and perhaps 2012 may have made their choice based on the subway’s 2015 opening date. Some may have specifically opted out of U of T or Ryerson for this reason. It's a big school, and a direct RT connection was a long time in the making.

I doubt 'a good proportion' of prospective students would have based their decision on a yet to be completed transit line.

^even if it opened later this year, someone starting at York in 2012 would have have seen 1 year of 4 year undergrad degree served by a subway....if that is how people are picking their schools I may start siding with those who think we have watered down the value of a university degree by making it far too accessible ;)

Two years if you count a victory lap :). And I guess for those in co-op as well.

But good point, perhaps I was overthinking this. Though I feel like even if someone wasn’t planning on using the subway – the mere fact that it’s under construction ups York’s reputation as more urban and connected to Toronto. Instead of it being an auto-centric school in the middle of nowhere surrounded by highways and petroleum storage tanks, it’s now known as the school a short subway ride from downtown (or at least soon to be).

I think the same thing might be the case with KW’s LRT. Many future enrollees at UW or Laurier may consider KW to be more of a real, growing, dynamic city worth residing in for four years. Instead of, say, London, Guelph, or Hamilton with their buses.

Two years if you count a victory lap :). And I guess for those in co-op as well.

But good point, perhaps I was overthinking this. Though I feel like even if someone wasn’t planning on using the subway – the mere fact that it’s under construction ups York’s reputation as more urban and connected to Toronto. Instead of it being an auto-centric school in the middle of nowhere surrounded by highways and petroleum storage tanks, it’s now known as the school a short subway ride from downtown (or at least soon to be).

I think the same thing might be the case with KW’s LRT. Many future enrollees at UW or Laurier may consider KW to be more of a real, growing, dynamic city worth residing in for four years. Instead of, say, London, Guelph, or Hamilton with their buses.

If the Waterloo LRT happened AND GO train service was increased to KW, then that would be attractive for students. It would make KW a more attractive place to live and work in general as well.

I'm not sure if the LRT alone would make it much more attractive to students. Most students probably would still want to live in walking distance of campus. It does help increase the range of housing someone would consider, but I'd think most would still try to be within walking distance. I guess it would be useful for students going to the mall or things like that.

Although, it could be good in some scenarios. Say you have a co-op term at a tech company in downtown Kitchener (where a lot of tech offices are now), but the place you've rented is near the UW campus.

Well it shows how little they know about transit in this city actually thinking it would be completed when they said it would be, Besides the subway goes to downsview now anyways so really York is not that far by bus. I find it hard to beleive anyone made their decision to go to York because of the subway

If the Waterloo LRT happened AND GO train service was increased to KW, then that would be attractive for students. It would make KW a more attractive place to live and work in general as well.

I'm not sure if the LRT alone would make it much more attractive to students. Most students probably would still want to live in walking distance of campus. It does help increase the range of housing someone would consider, but I'd think most would still try to be within walking distance. I guess it would be useful for students going to the mall or things like that.

Although, it could be good in some scenarios. Say you have a co-op term at a tech company in downtown Kitchener (where a lot of tech offices are now), but the place you've rented is near the UW campus.

If the high speed rail has reasonable fares and frequencies, it could make Loo really attractive to people who live in Toronto. They could commute from Toronto in about an hour. Or at the very least, if they still live on UW campus, they'll have peace of mind knowing that they're only an hour away from Toronto by train.

If the high speed rail has reasonable fares and frequencies, it could make Loo really attractive to people who live in Toronto. They could commute from Toronto in about an hour. Or at the very least, if they still live on UW campus, they'll have peace of mind knowing that they're only an hour away from Toronto by train.

My dream is much more modest. Get travel time down to 1:45-1:30 (maybe by improving the Guelph part, I don't really know though). Have at least a few trains going in each direction throughout the day. Say there were around 3 trains going in both directions in the mornings and afternoons, and one in each direction every hour or two off-peak.

Sadly, I doubt this will happen anytime in the next few years, given that the promise for 2016 is to add more trains from Waterloo to Toronto in the morning and back in the afternoon. So no service from Toronto to Waterloo in the morning and no W->T in the afteroon, no other trips throughout the day.

The Spadina extension will get finished because Del Duca is a Vaughan MPP and can't afford the political fallout. The real problem is for the B-D extension advocates first and foremost since TTC's capital project management abilities just took a massive hit. (I do note that a lot of the SLRT advocates seem to assume LRT projects are immune from slippage, and that just because the province is paying that $ overruns will not be our problem. But the province was supposed to be paying for 100pc of Georgetown South too and yet a bill has arrived at City Hall anyway.

The Spadina extension will get finished because Del Duca is a Vaughan MPP and can't afford the political fallout. The real problem is for the B-D extension advocates first and foremost since TTC's capital project management abilities just took a massive hit. (I do note that a lot of the SLRT advocates seem to assume LRT projects are immune from slippage, and that just because the province is paying that $ overruns will not be our problem. But the province was supposed to be paying for 100pc of Georgetown South too and yet a bill has arrived at City Hall anyway.

The bill covers items not under Metrolinx responsibility such as; waterlines, sewer lines, upgrading the landscape, roads, bridges and etc.

Some of the work has been advance, but they are due to be replace or upgraded over the next 5-15 years. Since the city has a big back log of work to be done due to lack of funds, Metrolinx has pickup most of the cost by doing it now so they can do what they have to do in the corridors and not worry about having to re-due some of the work when it came to Toronto doing the work on their timetable down the road. Look what happen for King St in Weston related to water work. That work ended up pushing things back a year because of Toronto and not all of it is finish today and they started late as well.

I and other forecast that this extension would be over budget and years late as far back as 2010 and it has come true.

We know any LRT line will fall behind schedule based on Toronto past record related to St Clair, Queens Quay and Fleet to name a few as they don't know how to run projects as well awarding contracts. Even writing tender documents by TTC and the city is poor and open the door for overruns and delays.

Both GO and Metrolinx keep changing plans as to when service is to be increase due to lack of fund either from the province or gone over budget on various projects. Then they will say we should do service increase here when it should be there where it would generate more riders.

Until the tracks are in place and crews on hand, some of the service can't be put in place to meet your needs tomorrow like you want, but it will happen within the next 10 years or less.

The Spadina extension will get finished because Del Duca is a Vaughan MPP and can't afford the political fallout.
At this point, the Spadina extension will get finished because it's 70% complete and contracts have already been issued to get to 90%.

At this point it makes not an iota of difference who the MPP is.

At this point, the Spadina extension will get finished because it's 70% complete and contracts have already been issued to get to 90%.

At this point it makes not an iota of difference who the MPP is.

^This.

It's entirely possible that at this point, finishing the project as planned is actually cheaper than buying out the existing contracts, letting the contractors walk, and leaving a mostly-finished subway to rot.

Back