Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I'm more upset about the delayed opening than the budget. Someone posted to my Facebook that the opening date is set now at December 31st, 2017. This is a line where the tunneling is complete and was to open this year! It slipped into early 2016, then to late 2016, to now practically 2018!

Which means the real date will be passed 2017

I'm more upset about the delayed opening than the budget. Someone posted to my Facebook that the opening date is set now at December 31st, 2017. This is a line where the tunneling is complete and was to open this year! It slipped into early 2016, then to late 2016, to now practically 2018!
Yes, it's slipped 2 years.

But far better than the Sheppard East LRT which has slipped from 2014 to 202?

Or what about the DRL. Which has slipped from 1980 to 2011 to 2030 to ?

so the ttc wants to add a third person; becaue another layer of admin will help.

You don't ever get a 2nd or 3rd opinion on things?

More experienced eyes identify more problems. The challenge is to reward people who spot potential problems even if they don't have a solution; many organizations punish people who do that and become surprised when those potential problems become real ones.

Yes, it's slipped 2 years.

But far better than the Sheppard East LRT which has slipped from 2014 to 202?

Or what about the DRL. Which has slipped from 1980 to 2011 to 2030 to ?

Apples to oranges comparison, and you know it! Both of your examples are the result of political meddling, which this extension has not had to contend with (yet...). It will be nearly 8 years of construxtion, including 4 of those years when the tunnels are fully constructed, before it is operational.

the 6 month investigation by MoL after the worker death at york certainly didnt help as well.
I think it is definitely a concoction of bureaucratic red tape, gross incompetence on all levels of management, engineering, slow station construction tempo and a hint of bad weather.
typical problems faced in north american infrastructure projects

Two years is a fairly long time. I'm sure there are many York U students/staff PO'd about that.

I'm wondering if we could have an option to stop work north of Steeles, and use all the savings/manpower to completely finish the Toronto portion w/in the next ~6mths? The York Region section could be completed in the '20s or '30s.

Two years is a fairly long time. I'm sure there are many York U students/staff PO'd about that.

I'm wondering if we could have an option to stop work north of Steeles, and use all the savings/manpower to completely finish the Toronto portion w/in the next ~6mths? The York Region section could be completed in the '20s or '30s.
This makes sense. But is the 2017 date to finish the whole line into Vaughan or is it only to finish it up to York University

Apples to oranges comparison, and you know it! Both of your examples are the result of political meddling, which this extension has not had to contend with (yet...). It will be nearly 8 years of construxtion, including 4 of those years when the tunnels are fully constructed, before it is operational.
Given that the original 2015 opening date was before 18 months of political meddling that delayed the entire start of the project by 18 months, it's hard to see how a 2 year delay is not political meddling.

This makes sense. But is the 2017 date to finish the whole line into Vaughan or is it only to finish it up to York University
Both. They reckoned they could only save 4 months to go to York (because of extra signals, crossovers, etc.). But would push Vaughan itself for not opening for another 6 months (or 10 months after York).

Not much gained.

Well, since the subway will be lucky to operate this decade, perhaps we can improve the bus connection in the meantime? Get some articulated buses on the route so every bus isn't running at above crushload, or at least you only have to wait 3 buses to get on rather than 5? Perhaps implement a proof of payment setup so that the lines don't stretch across York Lanes?

Thank god they had the foresight to put in the BRT while the construction takes place.

Back