Toronto Southcore Financial Centre & Delta Toronto | 159.71m | 45s | GWL | KPMB

Will the Delta have any balconies? Seeing office tower quality glass going up on a (fairly) tall building is really great. If no balconies are involved, it will be even better!

No, no balconies.

I walked by yesterday. There is a slight difference between the tint of the glass used in the middle and the two sides flanking it. It could hardly be glimpsed without a spectroscope though. It looks to be of quite high quality (not that I'm an expert), but once again blue-grey rules the day at Southcore.

Today:

T72YbA7.jpg

Wq1EB9h.jpg

QtdFSUe.jpg

I don't know, I think that zipper could look cool once we get a little more height!

I think SouthCore should change its name to Vanronto.

Vancouver is a beautiful city. If you have a problem with its architecture, you should know that architecture is but a small part of what makes a city great. Have you ever been (never mind lived) in Vancouver before you try mocking it? From the ignorance in your comments, and your exclusive aA relationship, I'm going to guess not. Toronto, and most other cities, have a lot to learn from Vancouver, if anything (aside from the stupidity that is height restrictions).

^Ha indeed I spent a year in Vancouver. Vancouver has some great architecture but the c.1980s-today's condotecture is mostly uninspired timid design. The Westend, Gastown, Mount Pleasant, Sunrise, North Vancouver and UBC-Broadway-Kerrisdale corridor has some fantastic 1950s-70s apartment blocks and historic buildings and SFHs.

My roots in Vancouver go way way way back. As in the very beginning as it was just being "discovered." Maybe it's time you check out the facts: Modern Canadian architecture I love. Thanks.

Toronto is a lot more modernist than Vancouver. There's a big difference in the finish on the buildings, and Vancouver's towers are shaped by NIMBYs.

^Ha indeed I spent a year in Vancouver. Vancouver has some great architecture but the c.1980s-today's condotecture is mostly uninspired timid design.

+1

Vancouver looked better in 1980 than it does today. Those 1980-present condo buildings have won accolades from urban planners, but from an architectural point of view they have a lot to be desired. We have a similarly soul sucking neighbourhood called City Place. Not a surprise that it was built by the same developer responsible for that coma inducing Expo 86 site in Vancouver.

Southcore? Individually none of the buildings are all that bad, but together its about as cold and sterile as you can get. Toronto's trump card is diversity. Southcore is sorely lacking in that department.

Last edited:
Vancouver looked better in 1980 than it does today. Those 1980-present condo buildings have won accolades from urban planners, but from an architectural point of view they have a lot to be desired. We have a similarly soul sucking neighbourhood called City Place. Not a surprise that it was built by the same developer responsible for that coma inducing Expo 86 site in Vancouver.

Southcore? Individually none of the buildings are all that bad, but together its about as cold and sterile as you can get. Toronto's trump card is diversity. Southcore is sorely lacking in that department.

Please go to South Loop in Chicago and tell me how that is any better architecturally than Southcore, Cityplace, or contemporary Vancouver architecture. In fact, not only is the architecture so bad it makes Cityplace look good, but the area is much more car dependant than any central Toronto neighbourhood. From a contemporary architecture *and* planning POV, even Cityplace (nevermind Vancouver) will embarrass just about every neighbourhood built in North America in the last 3 decades.

As for Southcore feeling "sterile," I completely disagree with you. I get a "modern" vibe out of it. If that translates to "cold" in your perspective, then I guess that's the price you pay for a clean, modern, highrise neighbourhood. Maybe if they threw a bunch of old newspapers all over the street, put up signs on ever lamp post, and put 1s dingy stores instead of highrises, it would be considered "cultured" and well executed by some.

Last edited:

Back