Toronto Southcore Financial Centre & Delta Toronto | 159.71m | 45s | GWL | KPMB

24deac37-266c-4f60-aeac-f65dc0301d6f_zps38684be8.jpg

I like those metal beams for some reason. I'd love to see them painted yellow and clad in clear glass (the glass that part of Shangri-la's base uses, north of the actual tower).

I thought I had explored all of that building (including the PATH areas) and I don't recall any retail.

I did manage to get into a unit which loosely resembles a retail unit (not in use at the moment) from one of the internal stairwells, but that one is located on the 2nd level and faces an outdoor terrace of sorts.

For PWC? There are images in that buildings project thread that show the planned retail locations. The main floor has only two retail locations. One small one fronting onto Bremner and one around the corner off of York. Only the York unit is leased IIRC. The rest of the retail was going to be on the second floor toward the back (North side) of the building but is not leased IIRC. Presumably this is where the PATH connection between the buildings will be and so makes sense to place the retail there.

Jasonzed, I used your great photo to try to make a simple render with Delta and Bremner towers present. I tried to scale best I can. Should look pretty good nonetheless.

deltabremner.jpg

I give this building an A so far since there does not seem to be ugly spandrel, green glass or mullions yet.

Any reason why the office tower wouldn't be steel?

Better still, why not precast??

I was looking at a tower in Frankfurt last year being built with precast columns and beams as well floor slab for a 40 storey tower. The ceiling where high with with openings in the beams for all mechanical work including duct work.

Very few tall buildings are built with steel these days, as it is cheaper to do it in concrete. Some developer prefer steel towers for various reasons to the point they are supper thin ones. Very few large fabricators left in NA to handle 25,000 ton projects to the point there are joint partnership to fabricate the steel for one.

The original BA tower was being built with large beans and columns until it die in the late 80's. Canron, the fabricator of the steel for the tower had 10 floors fabricated and sitting in the yard when the hold was put on this project. This was on top of what was already on site. The steel ended up going to the scrap yard and Canron going out of business, considering it was the largest one in Canada.

The current BA tower only saw a fraction of the steel in it compare to a normal tower, as most of it was steel joist in place of beams supporting the floors. Steel Joist has replace beams and columns building since they are lighter, cheaper to make and offer better head room. Also, faster to erect.

There are very few steel mills left in NA that roll beams and columns these days with most material coming in from off shore at a cheaper price than here.

Mmm, damn! I'm honestly sick of glass in the Southcore but damn does that glass look good. I think I can make an exception for this one.

Back