Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

I'm not sure he was being serious (but I'm willing to be told otherwise).

Much as I'd like it to be the new home of the Hockey Hall of Fame, this seems to be the best compromise that can be made with the Gardens. At least Ryerson will be good to her. I expect the prohibition on sports use only extends to commercial use; I sincerely doubt that university hockey games are serious competition to the Leafs or Marlies.

has anyone noticed there is not a single tree along the church and wood by the gardens? walking by it is less then pleasant, with no retail, blocked off walls and no greenery. ouch.

I think the building is ugly and regardless of its place in Toronto history, has little architectural merit. It frowns down upon the street making it unpleasant to pass by. Tear it down or open it up to ground level retail. I also agree with Yossi that it needs some serious greenery around it.

has anyone noticed there is not a single tree along the church and wood by the gardens? walking by it is less then pleasant, with no retail, blocked off walls and no greenery. ouch.

There are lots of trees on Church Street north of Wood Street on both sides, trees on the north side of Wood Street and then on both sides of Wood Street west of the Gardens. I suspect there are no trees around the Gardens itself as they would have been a substantial barrier with so many people entering and exiting onto the sidewalks when the building was in operation.

I think the building is ugly and regardless of its place in Toronto history, has little architectural merit. It frowns down upon the street making it unpleasant to pass by. Tear it down or open it up to ground level retail.

Your being sarcastic or your joking right? Right??!!

No cash for Maple Leaf Gardens, David Miller says

Sep 20, 2009 04:30 AM
PETER SMALL
STAFF REPORTER
Mayor David Miller is enthusiastic about the fact that Maple Leaf Gardens might host hockey games once again but says there is no city money to help out.

"Any use of Maple Leaf Gardens that honours its hockey heritage is terrific," the mayor said yesterday.

Loblaw Cos. Ltd., owner of the Gardens, is in talks with Ryerson University to jointly develop the Gardens as a supermarket and student athletic centre.

That could bring hockey back to the iconic former home of the Maple Leafs, but on a much smaller scale.

Sources have told the Toronto Star that federal money is available for the project, but that the city needs to throw its support behind the plan.

The mayor said, however, that the city is not involved in any discussions about the project.

"We simply don't have the money to run new facilities. It's impossible for us," he said.

But Miller added that anything that allows more public access to ice rinks is a good thing.

Spokespersons for Ryerson or Loblaw could not be reached yesterday. Both confirmed last week that they were in the midst of negotiations.

Any plan that includes an arena would have to be approved by the Gardens' previous owners, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment.

Maple Leaf Sports made it a condition of sale in 2004 that Loblaw would not host large sportin

No cash for Maple Leaf Gardens, David Miller says

Maple Leaf Sports made it a condition of sale in 2004 that Loblaw would not host large sportin

So who in their right mind is going to spend 150-200 million bucks on this old heritage box if its not supported by the municipality with some kind of heritage funds, MLSE also imposed many rules and regulations on regarding future uses of this building......Good luck on any future development of this property.:mad:

Last edited:
3682810593_b056c9222b_o.jpg

I wrote on my blog about this MLG news, and one thing I was wondering was what kind of arena Ryerson would get at MLG. From what I've read, Loblaw's intention is to take the future second (top) floor of the building as the supermarket, while the main floor would be used as the arena. Under that plan, the arena would not have a view to the domed MLG roof. Instead of looking like the old hockey barn that MLG was, the Ryerson rink might look like an arena plopped into a former typical industrial warehouse.

So who in their right mind is going to spend 150-200 million bucks on this old heritage box if its not supported by the municipality with some kind of heritage funds, MLSE also imposed many rules and regulations on regarding future uses of this building......Good luck on any future development of this property.:mad:

I understand that the city doesn't have the funds to help this project at the moment. There's already a partnership involved between Loblaws and Ryerson anyways, and they should have the means to work together.

However, we need a fund not just in this city but in this province that goes specifically towards heritage preservation. Personally I'm hoping the upcoming anniversary of the War of 1812 might be used as an example of the importance of heritage preservation and perhaps could be used as leverage to get something moving.

From what I've read, Loblaw's intention is to take the future second (top) floor of the building as the supermarket, while the main floor would be used as the arena. Under that plan, the arena would not have a view to the domed MLG roof. Instead of looking like the old hockey barn that MLG was, the Ryerson rink might look like an arena plopped into a former typical industrial warehouse.

Thanks for posting the pic, it's really helpful.

To be completely honest, I find it difficult to think that the plans won't change substantially from this, since there doesn't seem to be sufficient ceiling height for an operable arena. There's also the questions of how the retail floor would be supported properly without impeding the functionality of the rink.

If the decision is made to keep this plan as a starting point, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if at least one level of parking gets kiboshed, and the retail level stays as is, or is raised a few feet. That way, Rye could get the equivalent of the lower bowl which they could also use for graduations and larger university functions.

Otherwise, I can't see how it would be good value for money for them.

Last edited:
You only need 25-30 feet of clearance for a hockey arena. It all depends on how much seating they want to put in.

Back