Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

Aug 23rd

All of the doors on Carlton Street (didn't see the Church Street doors) have had the Maple Leaf Gardens emblems removed from the entrance doors and replaced with "Godwin Coliseum". Presumably for a TV or movie shoot but still strange that all doors have been changed along Carlton.
Does anyone have any insight on this?

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

All of the doors on Carlton Street (didn't see the Church Street doors) have had the Maple Leaf Gardens emblems removed from the entrance doors and replaced with "Godwin Coliseum". Presumably for a TV or movie shoot but still strange that all doors have been changed along Carlton.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

It looks like an episode of Flashpoint:

Toronto's historic Maple Leaf Gardens is standing in for the fictional Godwin Coliseum today as production continues on the season finale of Flashpoint.

Great, thank you.
I'm puzzled why they can't use "Maple Leaf Gardens" though. Isn't this show set in Toronto?

From the Star:

Loblaws in talks with Ryerson over Maple Leaf Gardens
Sep 16, 2009 02:44 PM
Dana Flavelle
Business Reporter

Canada's largest supermarket chain confirmed today it is in talks with Ryerson University concerning the future development of Maple Leaf Gardens.

Loblaw Cos. Ltd., which bought the historic building in 2004, has said it plans to open a flagship supermarket in the former hockey shrine.

The plans may now include a badly needed arena for Ryerson's hockey team.

"Loblaw Cos. Ltd. is in discussions with Ryerson University regarding the possible future joint use of Maple Leaf Gardens. The discussions are still in progress and we do not have any information to share at this time. Updates regarding our discussions will be provided as appropriate," Inge van den Berg, Loblaw senior vice-president corporate affairs, confirmed in an email today.

Loblaw has owned the site since 2004, saying it planned to open a flagship supermarket in the former hockey shrine, a move that appalled hockey fans.

The historic site on Carlton St. has played host to Stanley Cup playoffs and Beatles concerts.

Loblaws bought the building from Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/696645

AoD

Loblaws proposal dead?

Ahh, AoD beat me to it.

I wonder if having Ryerson's hockey team play there would violate that ridiculous MLSE terms of sale that prohibits sports or entertainment use of the building, as to not compete with the ACC or Ricoh Coliseum.

Was there ever an expiry date to those terms? Can it really be "forever"?

Interesting news though about Ryerson. I would hope they would rent some of the ground-floor space to retailers though and open it up to the street as both Carlton and Church could use the help.

Was there ever an expiry date to those terms? Can it really be "forever"?

I think they can only block certain events (professional hockey, concerts and whatever else MLSE stipulated could not happen in the arena) for probably 99 years. I think that's the general legal limit that usages can be blocked for.

Interesting news though about Ryerson. I would hope they would rent some of the ground-floor space to retailers though and open it up to the street as both Carlton and Church could use the help.

Definitely, there are several spaces for retail opportunities on both Carlton and Church Sts. This is very encouraging news.

Last edited:
Didn't Ryerson previously state that they didn't want MLG because of the monstrous renovation costs attached to it? What has changed?

Perhaps if they are keeping it a mostly intact hockey arena the costs are much lower. Converting it into something else (i.e., lecture halls) is where the costs would have skyrocketted?

Just a guess.

MLSE should just have allowed the site to be used as a smaller scale arena for one of the local junior teams, that could also serve as a nice venue for smaller concerts.

Hopefully Ryerson can make good use of it.

Back