Toronto Ryerson Student Learning Centre | 50.59m | 8s | Ryerson University | Zeidler

The comments section of Hume's article is just depressing.

Haven't I warned everyone against reading any comments whatsoever (by 'readers') on the Toronto Star website.
Anyway, I couldn't resist ... typical ...

Although, these 3 stood out, this was quite rare - maybe the tides are changing :)

Same old haters

The people who criticise this are the same old Toronto haters who come on the Star site every day and bitch about Toronto being a terrible, ugly place. They hate the fact that Toronto is getting better every day. Let them stew in their own juices. This looks GREAT!
googlyguy

Great, but what about heating/cooling

Looks impressive, but there needs to be some concern for the environmental costs of such glass structures. We could still have a beautiful high quality inviting building that is more sensibly designed.
singh101

Complaining as usual...

Torontonians are afraid of trying new things. If we listened to the general public, ever building would be a block of concrete with a couple of windows (if lucky). This is edgy and fresh, something dearly needed on Younge and the university.

Haven't I warned everyone against reading any comments whatsoever (by 'readers') on the Toronto Star website.
Anyway, I couldn't resist ... typical ...

Although, these 3 stood out, this was quite rare - maybe the tides are changing :)

Let us not forget that the average Torontonian thinks that the condo at Jarvis and Richmond, French's Something or other, is the nicest building, built in the last few years.

Reporting from the event!

Additional info:

Double height retail space at grade and in the basement w access from Yonge, cleistory windows for daylighting.
Solar reflectors at SW corner to increase amt of sunlight available at the plaza

Last edited:
What strikes me most about this new addition to Ryerson's campus is what a handsome counterpoint it will be to the equally hefty Brutalist landmark next to it and how the one will enhance the other. If ever there was a local 'design opposite' approach that works ( and it'll work equally well with what remains of the nearbye Victorian commercial buildings, I think ) this is it.

Glad to hear there is retail at grade, it was my one concern on seeing the renderings.

The presentation has some additional renderings of the retail space (and other parts of the buildings) that isn't available online.

AoD

Nicely done. There clearly is design inspiration from the concept rendering, although it appears the smooth and curvy facade was a casualty of Ryerson's cost-cutting.

I like it a lot. The only thing that bothered me was the blank wall along the street where the stairs are...but apparently it will house retail, so that's positive.

I guess the giant records won't be used. As much as I like the design, that's unfortunate.

I love it! It really fits; there's something about it that's very "Toronto", but I can't put my finger on it.

Along with the courthouse at St. Lawrence Market (is that thing still on?), this is the best design that's going up in the city.

PS: the interior reminds me of the interior of the Seattle Public Library (Koolhaas) and the outside looks like the Cooper Union extension in NYC (Morphosis). That's really the best of both worlds.

I second this - WTF is wrong with people posting those thoughts on Hume's column (maybe Rob Ford creepy crawlers....)?
This building is stunning and signals the continued trend in 'architectural maturation' of this city...

I posted on the forum some time ago, how I had spent a period of time in the US and then came back to TO last year. Toronto feels like it has begun to shift considerably from a 'large metropolitan centre' to a 'big cosmopolitan city'. This new announcement is more evidence of this very exciting trend!

Lark

All Toronto newspapers seem to be the home of Toronto haters. It doesn't matter what the topic is, if it's about this city, the comments are always negative and mean-spirited. I don't think it's a real reflection on the people of this city. I think most of them are from away and just have Toronto envy. I just ignore reader's comments on those sites. The internet has spawned a sub species of constant complainers and haters of everything and everyone.

I love it! It really fits; there's something about it that's very "Toronto", but I can't put my finger on it.

Along with the courthouse at St. Lawrence Market (is that thing still on?), this is the best design that's going up in the city.

PS: the interior reminds me of the interior of the Seattle Public Library (Koolhaas) and the outside looks like the Cooper Union extension in NYC (Morphosis). That's really the best of both worlds.

Maybe it's the 'snowflake effect' that 'feels very Toronto' about it?

It reminds me of snowflakes in some way....

It really is a work of art. I hope that actual building does justice to the beautiful rendering!

Back