Toronto Ryerson Student Learning Centre | 50.59m | 8s | Ryerson University | Zeidler

I think he's butt-hurt about the press leak (probably to The Star?).

No question, he is reacting to the fact that he was not able to get the scoop - while is nemesis Hume did! Whatever, he is a bit of a bitter poop, not that Hume is all rosy and great either.

Nonetheless, this is Toronto, a place where people are never satisfied with anything more than status-quo!

p5

The more I ponder the renderings, the more enthralled I am by this project. It's an exciting moment for Toronto--like the first time Elvis or the Pope visited. We're actually getting a brand spanking new starchitect building from a firm at the top their game--on Yonge St! Does it get any better? (People from Sydney or Barcelona need not reply) I pray that Ryerson can raise the dough because this is one project that can't be cheaped out.

If this does turn out well, and Snøhetta is happy with the finished product and really digs Toronto, who knows, we may get more from them. Dare we dream of the Røm Nü Crÿstal?

It is the blue-and-white, probably. First thing I thought of when I saw it this morning.

That plus the snowflakes and the Alsop sticks. It is so very Toronto, on Toronto's most Toronto-esque street. Everything about this thing is perfect. I think it'll do wonders for this city. (*fingers crossed* it turns out like render).

I love it! It really fits; there's something about it that's very "Toronto", but I can't put my finger on it.

The glazing - in particular, at the street/lower levels where it is unadorned, with extended "sections" with the periodic framing. Most of KPMB and aA projects have that (e.g. the new Rotman building at U of T; Murano ground level, etc).

AoD

PS: There is a touch of Foster's Leslie Dan Pharmacy Bldg about it as well.

Last edited:
From the eyeopener:
http://theeyeopener.com/2011/04/new-building-halts-subway-plans/

The first floor will be a host to a retail store that overlooks Yonge Street.

“We hope the deal is with Apple,” said Levy.

He compared the setup of the lower downstairs retail location to New York City’s Apple store. But the university is still in talks with potential retailers. Hangisberg said they would also be looking at U.S. retailers that want to make the transition into Canada.

AoD

hmm, the way it meets Yonge just doesn't work, plain and simple - are they honestly planning a blank wall for most of the site ?

There's no frontage for the retail on Yonge ? Forget apple, forget anything - think of the basement of the AMC building.

I absolutely love it otherwise. But the Yonge street treatment is just so bad right now I'd rather not see it go ahead.

Love it... except for one thing though.

RyeStudCtrFlexStudy1k.jpg

That bare concrete ceiling reminds me too much of the ironically-named Ryerson "Architecture" Building. Besides that, it's going to be great seeing what this building will contribute to the city with its exterior and interior spaces.

Today is one of those rare days when I actually do feel proud being a Ryerson alumnus.

hmm, the way it meets Yonge just doesn't work, plain and simple - are they honestly planning a blank wall for most of the site ?

There's no frontage for the retail on Yonge ? Forget apple, forget anything - think of the basement of the AMC building.

I absolutely love it otherwise. But the Yonge street treatment is just so bad right now I'd rather not see it go ahead.

If you look a page or two back, you'll see that there's mention of "Yonge St retail frontage" - that "blank wall" is apparently retail space.

If you look a page or two back, you'll see that there's mention of "Yonge St retail frontage" - that "blank wall" is apparently retail space.

Ah, okay, it sure didn't look like that; But if ithat's the case, you can ignore everythinig I said :)

But, another point given the picture / comment above. I tend to agree it's leaning a little too much on the industrial side (inside that is). Given the budget though, that's not a big suprise - 100 million or so seems cheep for this no ?

Some low quality video captures from the presentation this afternoon:

Yonge Street Retail Facade:
YongeFacade.jpg

Retail Interior:
RetailInterior.jpg

Yonge+Gould Plaza:
Plaza.jpg

AoD

Woo! Love.

I like the idea of Apple taking the retail space below. It's a very large space so it would fit Apple's needs. Being inside a university's shiny new student centre building can only help in their decision. That Levy mentioned that he hopes Apple is the one means that they're one of the retailers in negotiations.

It's a shame that a subway entrance wasn't included as it would have provided PATH access to Ryerson. I like how the building is facing the corner. A similar building facing the other way from the Empress lot and a pedestrianized Gould would provide quite an entrance into Ryerson University. Levy has expressed his intention to buy the lot, it's just a matter of getting Snohetta to design a building mirroring this one.

I'm a little concerned about no mention of what is to happen to the Sam sign. Not that it would look good tacked on to this building, but I was hoping it would find a home somewhere in the building facing the Yonge street, maybe in the lobby as an art piece.

Last edited:

Back