Toronto Ryerson Student Learning Centre | 50.59m | 8s | Ryerson University | Zeidler

RIGHT-ON.. gorgeous beautiful. I like it.
cheer.gif
beer.gif

Beautiful, beautiful and beautiful.

Three cheers for "look at me" architecture.

This splash of colour and pattern is a refreshing change from the neo-modernism that so many firms seem to be practicing in this city (and all over the planet). My only fear is that it will be 'value-engineered' before it actually gets completed (I will pray a little each night that it does not happen).

The stairs will probably be a great resting spot - a "seen and be seen" space in an otherwise busy neighbourhood.

This is great city building. Kudos to Levy and Ryerson.

Very nice indeed.....only one concern.....what is with the concrete wall along Yonge St., at pedestrian level? I am just trying to imagine walking along there......:confused:

Other than that, quite spectacular!!

The folks doing the press conference today must be really pissed that someone gave Hume the scoop...

I like how there is retail space that continues the streetwall but then it slopes down and gives way to the corner plaza. A logical solution in my opinion.

Very nice indeed.....only one concern.....what is with the concrete wall along Yonge St., at pedestrian level? I am just trying to imagine walking along there......:confused:

There is no concrete wall along Yonge: its glass with retail behind it.

is that retail along the streetwall? Maybe I misread it?

edit: thx alklay! good to know...

I'm not really a fan of the retail section on Yonge... I think the massing of everything there and how it meets the sidewalk has potential to go wrong.
Looks like that sloped section closer to the corner would probably have escalators going down inside for a new subway entrance.
Also, in the renderings, doesn't it practically look like Zanzibar is right next door? Did they buy up more property?

Anyone know where the "connection" to the older library will be (mentioned in the star article)? By bridge, or by underground?

Last edited:
Here they are, bigger, (the way you like them), and in an order that makes some kind of sense. (Why doesn't anyone else do that?)

RyeStudCtrExtFar1k.jpg

RyeStudCtrExtNear1k.jpg

RyeStudCtrLobby1k.jpg

RyeStudCtrFlexStudy1k.jpg

RyeStudCtrSmGpStudy1k.jpg

RyeStudCtrOpenStudy1k.jpg

From National Post:

Peter Kuitenbrouwer Apr 6, 2011 – 10:08 AM ET

Ryerson University holds a news conference at 10:30 to display details of its new Student Learning Centre, corner of Gould and Yonge streets, but since they have already leaked the details to another newspaper, I feel free to express my view: the “thing” they are proposing to build, for a cool $112-million, looks shockingly suburban and derivative. Rather than try to work with the historic character of Yonge Street and fit into the province’s most storied shopping thoroughfare, Snohetta of Norway and Zeidler of Toronto propose to slam an irregular, iceberg-esque monolith of glass and concrete where Sam the Record Man once stood.

Back a few years ago when Ryerson bought Sam’s, Sheldon Levy, the president of Ryerson, promised in a news release that, “we are working closely with the City of Toronto to ensure that the legacy of Sam the Record Man is honoured.” They have not done so.

Just what is "suburban and derivative" about it? I am trying hard to think of a suburban building like this one. I suppose if one is to be truly "work with the historical character" of that strip, they'd have to clutter some degraded faux brick facade with pieces of crap dangling left, right and centre. Neon-lit animation of dancing girls helps.

AoD

Official news release:

Media Release
April 6, 2011

Ryerson Announces Design Of Stunning New Student Learning Centre

Striking building will provide dynamic new learning environment for students Important next step in Ryerson's role as city builder

TORONTO, April 6, 2011 --- Ryerson University President Sheldon Levy today unveiled the spectacular design of the Ryerson Student Learning Centre, which will be built at the corner of Yonge and Gould Streets. Designed by the acclaimed international architectural team of Zeidler Partnership Architects of Toronto and Snøhetta of Oslo, Norway and New York City, the stunning new building will provide Ryerson students with an outstanding environment to study, collaborate and discover.

The eight-storey Student Learning Centre boldly marks Ryerson's new face on Yonge Street. It will feature a dazzling glass facade, a welcoming elevated plaza, a bridge to the existing library and a range of academic, study and collaborative spaces for Ryerson's students, faculty and staff. Yonge Street frontage will feature destination retail at and below grade, creating a prominent commercial facade.

"I am thrilled to present the first look at the inspirational design of our new Ryerson University Student Learning Centre," said Levy. "The new Student Learning Centre will have a powerful impact on student learning, life on campus and the community. It's a transformative, bold development and an important step forward in city building. We are very excited about what the Student Learning Centre will mean for Ryerson and for Toronto."

With links to the existing Library building, the Student Learning Centre will offer a variety of creative and inspiring learning environments and spaces. Every floor will have its own personality - some will be open and interpretive with flexible furniture and terraces while others will be densely filled with enclosed study rooms for groups of four to eight people. Space will be available for independent, quiet study and contemplation. With full digital support and accessible academic services, the Student Learning Centre will foster learning success and help promote a culture of collaboration and creativity among Ryerson students.

"The Student Learning Centre will provide bright, open, technologically rich, barrier-free spaces for individual and collaborative study that will accommodate our students' different learning styles and our faculties' different teaching practices," said Alan Shepard, Provost and Vice President Academic, Ryerson University. "It will provide our students with a welcoming, accessible, digitally connected space that is ready to adapt and accommodate new technologies, developments and services."

The transparent glass skin of the 155,463 square-foot Student Learning Centre will feature a surface design that will create varying light qualities within the interior space. As a further demonstration of Ryerson's long-time leadership in sustainability, the building will be LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Silver compliant. At least 50 per cent of the roof will be a dedicated green roof.

"The Student Learning Centre is one more step in realizing the vision established in the Ryerson master plan to wholly integrate the university's campus with the city's urban fabric," said Tarek El-Khatib, Senior Partner, Zeidler. "The building will contribute to the retail and pedestrian life in the area and set the tone for ongoing revitalization in this historic commercial neighbourhood. A generous and inviting, entry plaza will gently draw both students and the general public up and into this new vertical community setting the standard for future development in the area."

"The notion that learning is a static, solitary activity is outmoded," said, Craig Dykers, principal architect and co-founder, Snøhetta. "While it remains important to find places of introspection, it is also vitally important to create places where people can more actively seek knowledge, where social connections can intertwine and where all forms of activity, quiet and loud, can find a suitable home. The design of the Student Learning Centre is foremost about providing these new and diverse functions.

"The Student Learning Centre will be a very special place where ideas are shaped and dreams come true. It will be a destination of choice for undergraduate and graduate students alike."

Support for the project from the Government of Ontario has been vital.

"The Student Learning Centre would not be possible without the Government of Ontario's investment of $45 million that was announced in 2008," said Julia Hanigsberg, Vice-President, Administration and Finance, Ryerson University. "The government of Ontario's transformative contribution represents more than just putting money into a building; it is creating a world-class facility that will touch thousands of Ontarians - our students, faculty, staff - for generations to come."

Construction on the building is expected to begin late this year, with a targeted completion date of Winter 2014.

Ryerson University is Canada's leader in innovative career-focused education, offering close to 100 PhD, master's, and undergraduate programs in the Faculty of Arts; the Faculty of Communication & Design; the Faculty of Community Services; the Faculty of Engineering, Architecture and Science; and the Ted Rogers School of Management. Ryerson University has graduate and undergraduate enrolment of 28,000 students. With more than 68,000 registrations annually, The G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education is Canada's leading provider of university-based adult education.

Note to photo editors: There are seven architectural images to accompany this release. They are available to download at http://www.ryerson.ca/news/media/spotlight/slc/

- 30 -

For further information contact:

Janet Mowat
Ryerson University
Tel: 416-979-5000 ext. 7002
jmowat@ryerson.ca Johanna VanderMaas
Ryerson University
Tel: 416-979-5000 ext. 4630
johanna.vanermaas@ryerson.ca

If you require this in another format, please contact Ryerson University Public Affairs at 416-979-5000 x 7134.

___

http://www.ryerson.ca/news/media/spotlight/slc/20110406_MR_slc.html

Backgrounder w/ description of each floor:

http://www.ryerson.ca/news/media/spotlight/slc/20110406_SLC_campusbackgrounder.pdf

AoD

Last edited:

Back