Toronto Residences at the RCMI Condos | 134.72m | 42s | Tribute | Zeidler

OMG NO! There's nothing wrong with the Zurich building. Why is every colourful building getting exterminated? :(

Good grief, haven't we learned anything? We have zero respect for any era except the current one and things built before WW2. 30 years from now, people are going to be shaking their heads at us for allowing this to happen just like we shake our heads at the previous generation for letting 20s and 30s buildings get demolished because they were out of fashion.

Zurich is one of the best 70s buildings in this city. Must we strip our city of every stitch of its architectural layering in the name of trendiness? What's next, re-cladding the CN Tower in glass?

Last edited:
21 September 2012: Now I love brown, but Zurich--really? It's mediocre. Reclad this tank asap Mr ____ ;) (The chosen firm makes me a tad nervous...'tis a mixed bag....)

20120921181809.jpg

If recladding gets the go ahead, I suspect it's due to the owners &/or tenants requesting privacy from the RCMI condo residents. Understandable.

Last edited:
Privacy for office space? In any case, that's why we invented blinds. By reclad, you don't just mean window replacement?

If recladding gets the go ahead, I suspect it's due to the owners &/or tenants requesting privacy from the RCMI condo residents. Understandable.

There are no owners or tenants presently residing in RCMI, and there is absolutely nothing compelling the owner of the Zurich building to drop that kind of money to satisfy people who already saw what would be next door.

21 September 2012: Now I love brown, but Zurich--really? It's mediocre. Reclad this tank asap Mr ____ ;) (The chosen firm makes me a tad nervous...'tis a mixed bag....)

Your post likely echoes exactly how people in the 60s/70s rationalized tearing down 20s and 30s buildings. The Temple Building? Really? It's mediocre at best. People don't appreciate 1940-2000 architecture because its not old enough. Wait till 2060, and people will wonder why buildings like Zurich were desecrated/destroyed. 50 years from now, buildings like this will be valued because they'll be so different to what's modern at the time. At the rate we're going, buildings like Zurich might be very rare as well.

Actually, there might not be any examples like this to survive at all. We'll only have threads called '1970s Toronto Destroyed', and picture books showing what they looked like. Seems that people don't learn from past mistakes.

In 40 years, we'll have a new crop of people calling for the tear down of Shangri-La because its too airy/glassy/'what have you' for modern tastes. Shangri-La? Really? Tear that piece of shit down!

Last edited:
I pass by this nearly every day and I think my favourite aspect is the proportions and placement. A thin tower wedged between two buildings, very Manhattan, very nice.

Back