Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

There are stairs (only) at the ends of the older bridge that goes over the marina at Rees Street. That bridge certainly gets used so I think that any new bridges will be used too.

Plus as mentioned previously - steepness would be an interest in and on itself - just look how how popular the Simcoe Wavedeck is. The Rees bridge would have the same, if not greater potential. Time to stop thinking about the bridges only as utility and more as destinations.

AoD

Not an oncoming streetcar--the streetcar and car were parallel to each other going Westbound. The streetcar had a green to go straight westbound. The car had a red light and ran it to make a left (southbound) turn. Apparently he missed the ~50,000lb, 15m-long red vehicle approaching him from behind on the left, in addition to the red traffic signal that he either missed or didn't particularly feel like obeying today.

Well, I certainly hope he got some points applied to him.

AoD

Plus as mentioned previously - steepness would be an interest in and on itself - just look how how popular the Simcoe Wavedeck is. The Rees bridge would have the same, if not greater potential. Time to stop thinking about the bridges only as utility and more as destinations.

AoD

Exactly. Visitor/tourists will all be wanting pictures on top of the arch with the islands in the background.

So was the car making a left turn into an oncoming streetcar? Brilliant. Must have been turning on a red. That's not design, that's stupidity. Speaking of which, today I watched two cars turn onto the streetcar ROW on Fleet from Bathurst, which isn't anything new. People really seem to struggle with the whole ROW thing.

A driver died doing that a few years ago, except that she entered the Fleet ROW from Stadium Rd, which I don't think you can do anymore.

ETA:

http://www.bramptonguardian.com/news-story/3069335-brampton-woman-killed-in-t-o-streetcar-collision/

http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=26575d59-d98a-4c1e-bc3a-b158816e2e61&sponsor=

I know; she was a friend of a friend. They have put up bollards at the crossing at Fleet and Stadium because people kept u-turning there, but I frequently see people enter the ROW at Bathurst, from both directions, on both Fleet and on Bathurst south of Lake Shore. It's sort of amusing seeing the panic in their eyes when they realize, but it isn't funny because someone has died doing it. I was in a streetcar on QQ yesterday when a driver tried entering the ROW; streetcar driver honked and honked and then announced that she should have run that Mercedes down. I'm sure they're frustrated.

I was in a streetcar on QQ yesterday when a driver tried entering the ROW; streetcar driver honked and honked and then announced that she should have run that Mercedes down. I'm sure they're frustrated.

Drivers tend to double down once they've entered the ROW, like they have to commit to being on it for the entire length instead of getting off as soon as possible.

Oh, for sure they are frustrated. They are operating a vehicle that makes a car look like a flimsy tin can, which can't move off the tracks. There's very little they can do to avoid a collision. They can only watch as it happens.

I think the steep Police basin bridge looks stunning because the steepness/tallness of it.

I think some people will use it because if you're walking along the waters edge, going all the way around the basin would be even more difficult than using the bridge.

I think yeah a lot of people would want to be photographed on the bridge, like they currently do at the wave decks.

Sent out by WT today:

Crews are scheduled to install a permanent traffic controller cabinet at Spadina and Queens Quay on Thursday, August 27.

The signals at both Spadina and Queens Quay and the TTC loop will be powered down for the majority of the day on August 27. Paid-duty officers will be on site to control the intersections.

The current controller at this location was installed temporarily while the permanent controller was being programmed. Typically, each Toronto intersection runs on its own controller. Because of their proximity to each other, the traffic signals at Spadina and the TTC Loop share a controller, requiring a more sophisticated, custom controller

... I frequently see people enter the ROW at Bathurst, from both directions, on both Fleet and on Bathurst south of Lake Shore.
I've certainly done it from westbound Lake Shore to southbound Bathurst - despite being a relatively frequent driver on Lake Shore (though I seldom turn left there ... I was dropping someone off at the airport). However, I wouldn't have done it if a streetcar was there; and I immediately knew I'd made a mistake, and simply drove over the curb to the correct lane - though looking in streetview they have since extended the plastic(?) bollards north all the way to Lake Shore ... not sure what I'd do know ... though I guess you can drive over the things.

If these accidents are too frequent, then there's a design failure that needs to be rectified. The road can be 100% legal, but 100% unsafe. If accidents are very common, then someone who is injured can sue the city/engineer/etc. for damages, even if they made the driving error.

Has anybody been keeping a running tally/list? I did for the first 5 or 6 but last count. What are we at now? 20? 30? 40? When are the police going to start doing ANY enforcement of ANY laws on Queen's Quay? If this isn't enough to get them to send even one officer down, what will it take?
I don't think we're to 20 yet, but it's at least 10. At some point you can't just keep writing it off as teething pains and some redesign has to be done.

Can't use these here in Toronto.
hardscape-8.jpg
86c47683d720852f2e735eb82e408f57.gif
babcdcac02ff92ec59c417dcff092632.jpg

If these accidents are too frequent, then there's a design failure that needs to be rectified. The road can be 100% legal, but 100% unsafe. If accidents are very common, then someone who is injured can sue the city/engineer/etc. for damages, even if they made the driving error.

I'm not sure what's unsafe about a traffic signal with a sign next to it reading LEFT TURN SIGNAL that displays a red light when you are not permitted to turn left. Where's the design failure in that? The driving error lies with the driver alone - there is nothing in the design that leads the driver to believe, erroneously, that a left turn is safe or permitted in the red light phase. Unless we have a new 'left turn on red' law that I'm unaware of.

Back