Toronto Portland Commons | 71.7m | 15s | Carttera | Sweeny &Co

I still prefer the precast building and Reve (for all their faults) over the hideous Minto Bathurst monstrosity.

That building is picturesque. It has so many appealing features.

There's the playfully slopping roof line that gives it an architectural profile; the massive X-shaped column at Front and Bathurst against a backdrop of colourful tiles; the dynamic use of geometric shapes all along the facade and contrasting colours; and the metropolitan U-shaped massing.

Despite being a massive building, it doesn't feel overwhelming, which is quite the feat. It makes the area a nicer place in general and looks great from the Fort York area. It was a beautiful addition to the city's built form.

Last edited:
The "dynamic use of geometric shapes" on Minto Bathurst just looks cheap and contrived to me.

I much prefer designs that embrace a clean golden ratio. Even though it's not perfect, Forest Hill Condominiums by Centrecourt is an example of better quality mid market condo architecture. Clean lines, with no messy mullions, and random cutouts.

IMG_2695.jpg

IMG_2693.jpg

IMG_2697.jpg

IMG_2696.jpg

A Portland Commons Update after a five week break for a road trip across Canada to the mountains and the BC Coast. Along with a reminiscence of what our view used to be when we first moved into our condo in April 2010.

20230714_113242.jpg

Meanwhile, at the Wellington Street front of the building, the boulevard improvements (funded by The Well project, and as designed by CCxA) are now taking place. This will leave only the section in front of the Lifetime project at the corner of Draper and Wellington to be done)

20230714_113303.jpg

A flashback to April 2010, our view before Portland Commons, The Well, etc.

DSCF0123.JPG

Three Portland Commons images. First from the north-west , at the south portion of the building formwork has reached the Fifteenth floor, while at the north end it is up to the tenth floor.

20230719_151006.jpg

View from the Wellington Street level, north-east of Portland Commons.

20230719_133918.jpg

Current state of the Wellington Street Boulevard upgrade work - part of the Well project's undertaking for the Wellington Street south side boulevard from Spadina to Portland.

20230719_151041.jpg

Back