Toronto Portland Commons | 71.7m | 15s | Carttera | Sweeny &Co

August 9. It appears that Portland Commons has been now been almost fully formed out, with the exception of the penthouse floor on top of the tallest, south end section of the building. For comparison, a rendering of the finished form of the building, from the Portland Commons Database entry is copied below.

20230809_195653.jpg

29647-120868.jpg

View of the virtually fully formed Portland Commons. Over the past few days almost all the formwork has been taken down and shipped out. Only the south end penthouse section remains to be formed - there is some visible rebar protruding from the top at the east end of the penthouse area - that is all.

20230821_195418.jpg

Those grey shadow boxes are unfortunate -- especially on the south face. Would've been a real winner otherwise.
It wouldn't be Toronto without grey spandrel 🙃

At least they were honest about it being there in the renders I guess. Better than most developers. And yet still, they could have done better.

I know a shadow box would be more $ but would a dark green / blue spandrel have been considerably more expensive compared to grey?

I know a shadow box would be more $ but would a dark green / blue spandrel have been considerably more expensive compared to grey?
Unless you get into metallic colours, which use the metallic flake, there is no true difference in cost for different frit colour. There may be different costs if the architect is starting to want multiple colours on the project.

A glass unit shadowbox (i.e. clear outer lite and inner lite has full frit on back surface) costs a lot more than a monolithic spandrel. A true shadowbox (i.e. clear unit with metal panel set x distance behind the glass) cost even more than that.

Last edited:
View of the virtually fully formed Portland Commons. Over the past few days almost all the formwork has been taken down and shipped out. Only the south end penthouse section remains to be formed - there is some visible rebar protruding from the top at the east end of the penthouse area - that is all.

View attachment 501670

Come on, city! It's giving density.

Back