Toronto Picasso Condos | 128.62m | 39s | Mattamy Homes | Teeple Architects

Dec 03, 2011:
6458045129_8e5ee1e81d_b.jpg

6458046043_9b42fa5689_b.jpg

The scale model makes this look even better but I can't help but think it would look even better if it tapered at the top.

The scale model confirms that there are so many interesting details to this unique tower--some giving it a sense of playfulness. However, the mechanical box at the tops looks anything but playful. It looks like a complete afterthought without any design at all. It can't be defended on the Modernist principle of embracing the functional, for blank grey walls reveal nothing about the functions of that part of the building.

Last edited:
urbantoronto-4815-14635.jpg

image by Craig White

What an amazing design. It looks as though you're looking at a street grid from above, where the grey recessed corridors are roads and the white protruding sections are rows of buildings. It's as if part of the neighbourhood was carved out of the earth and propped up like a monument. Glorious.

This is easily my favourite project in the city.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a nice interpretation :).

It also strikes me as being some sort of future highrise lunar colony or colony on Mars. There's a very NASA quality to it.

Last edited:
The project has sold quite well according to Murray Goldman (who was named 'Man of the Year' by the development industry),:

We brought out 300 units to market at first and there are 373 units in total. We’ve sold 293 so far. In a month we’ll bring the rest to market and we expect to sell out.

Back