Toronto Picasso Condos | 128.62m | 39s | Mattamy Homes | Teeple Architects

I dont think this stands a chance in hell to get built...1st, they will have to convince the Queen Street crowd that there is no shadowing issues...2nd, they also have applied to continue to operate the existing commercial parking lot for another three more years.
So i dunno
dunno.gif

306-322 RICHMOND ST W
File Number: A0500/11TEY Zoning RA(PPR) Owner(s): 310 RICHMOND STREET Ward: Trinity-Spadina (20) WEST LIMITED
Agent: PAUL CHRONIS Property Address: 306-322 RICHMOND ST W Community: Toronto Legal Description: TOWN YORK PT LOT 18
PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION:
To continue to operate the existing 56 space commercial parking lot ,for a period of three years.
REQUESTED VARIANCE(S) TO THE ZONING BY-LAW:
1. Section 4 (a), By-law 283-2009
In an RA Zone a surface commercial parking lot is not a permitted use.
In this case, the intent is to maintain the existing non-conforming surface commercial parking lot.
2. Section 4(17) (b), By-law 438-86
The minimum required dimensions for a parking space are 5.6 m in length by 3.0 m in width. In this case, 50 of the existing parking spaces have a length of 5.6 m by 2.6 m in width.

#23...http://www.toronto.ca/planning/pdf/cofa_tey_agenda_28sep11_pm.pdf

where have you been for the past two years Automation? this thing was approved in January 2009.

ThomasJ:

My guess is there was/is/will be a minor variance app. If you have the patience you can probably track it down on the CoA website - not enough of an issue for me to bother.

AoD

I love the sharp new evening rendering on the UT Database. This will look stunning lit up at night. Also going to be quite the dramatic and iconic view terminus on Beverley. Will be a popular new photographer vantage point for sure.

Last edited:
I do too, this building will totally rock if it comes off near as good as the renderings.

This building will cast shadows all over Queen street and nobody here on UT gives a hoot and actually think its the "cat's ass", but as soon as a tower is proposed, of all places down at the CBD ( Example.... Sapphire/Canada Tower, BAC-2-3) that might cast the slightest shadow on NPS everyone is freakin out...Hahaha, dont get it.:confused:

Last edited:
This building will cast shadows all over Queen street and nobody here on UT gives a hoot and actually think its the "cat's ass", but as soon as a tower is proposed, of all places down at the CBD ( Example.... Sapphire/Canada Tower, BAC-2-3) that might cast the slightest shadow on NPS everyone is freakin out...Hahaha, dont get it.:confused:

Willful ignorance to demonstrate a false point. Junctionist mentioned shadowing on the previous page and this development's effect on the character of Queen West has been discussed at length since the Gansevoort design.

That said, I'm pretty sure Teeple could get away with murder as far as this forum is concerned. If this was another Pinnacle tower, for instance, no doubt we'd all be searching harder for reasons to hate it.

I don't see the big deal about brief shadows on Queen Street, the city has to grow and there are so many restrictions already. Shadowing important civic spaces and parks are a different matter.

Get the feeling this development will actually be OK.:cool:

More, from the Toronto Star...........http://www.thestar.com/article/1091406--picasso-a-sculpture-on-the-city-skyline

Picasso: A sculpture on the city skyline

The Picasso tower, to rise on the north side of Richmond St. W. at the head of Widmer St., will be a “study in contrast,†the project’s promotional materials note: white on grey with a band of red that cuts through the building’s facade, separating the cubes.

“Stephen has done a masterpiece,†Goldman says. “In my opinion, this by far will be the most beautiful building downtown.â€

The tower has a 10-storey base that will include three floors of retail and commercial space. Goldman indicates there’s a deal in the works for a prominent Toronto chef to operate a two-floor grocery/restaurant there, based on the concept of Mario Batali’s Eataly in New York City.

Is it possible that this building be increased in height to be really recognized from far away? I think it's such a beatiful building to be that short or not placed around the waterfront where it could be seen with the skyline.....

Get the feeling this development will actually be OK.:cool:

More, from the Toronto Star...........http://www.thestar.com/article/1091406--picasso-a-sculpture-on-the-city-skyline

I guess TAS Design Build never existed and there was never a much more interesting design proposal by Teeple put forward. And this isn't a poorly-proportioned and inelegant bastard son of the original scheme, and the existing old warehouse fabric the massive 10-storey podium purports to complement isn't in reality 6 or 7 storeys tall.

Glad we have such quality writing to set things straight rather than twist and mutilate reality to suit the developer's sales pitch.

Sorry to get all self-indulgent, but sometimes I can't believe how stupid and base these pieces can be.

I guess TAS Design Build never existed and there was never a much more interesting design proposal by Teeple put forward. And this isn't a poorly-proportioned and inelegant bastard son of the original scheme, and the existing old warehouse fabric the massive 10-storey podium purports to complement isn't in reality 6 or 7 storeys tall.

Glad we have such quality writing to set things straight rather than twist and mutilate reality to suit the developer's sales pitch.

Sorry to get all self-indulgent, but sometimes I can't believe how stupid and base these pieces can be.

No need to apologize. The papers should be called out for this tripe as opposed to publishing reflective, critical pieces on the projects that will affect our city's architecture and feel substantially. Christopher Hume may write the good kind of articles, but there's a whole section with articles like this one. This last line gave me a chuckle with its pretentiousness:

Big question, though: would his boy Picasso approve of the condo that’s being built in his name?
“I think he’d be proud to be involved,” Goldman says.

Back