News   May 10, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.8K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Toronto Parks

Then perhaps that's the question to ask, as nowhere have I intentionally suggested anyone be any of that. However, since we can't read minds, I've always believed that the reader gets to determine the meaning of a post or piece, not the author. So, let me clarify.... I want our parks to be nicely maintained and welcoming of everyone, including all folks of all colours, incomes and health. Currently our parks, specifically Allan Gardens serve the homeless, but IMO not many housed folks living in the towers and neigbourhoods nearby, and I'm thinking of ideas to attract a more mixed demographic to the park, one more reprsentative of the community. So, I hope that clarifies my position somewhat.

So let me see if i get your point, the park shouldn't be restricted to only rich white people with a doctor's note? Thanks for clarifying. Can we get back to discussing why vagrants shouldn't be allowed to squat in our public parks now...

Can we get back to discussing why vagrants shouldn't be allowed to squat in our public parks now...
What bylaw or legislation you suggesting they are contravening? If they're not breaking the law, I don't see why they can't be there.

I've already suggested a proven way for ordinary folks to take back the parks, and that's through usage. Here's Trinity Bellwoods. Notice lots of folks from all demographics using the park, and also notice no visibly homeless guys on the benches. This is how you get the park you want, through use.

046a.JPG

fedoras.jpg

2+In+the+shade,+Trinity-Bellwoods+park.jpg

Attachments

• 046a.JPG
    046a.JPG
    808.7 KB · Views: 756
  • fedoras.jpg
    fedoras.jpg
    716 KB · Views: 816
  • 2+In+the+shade,+Trinity-Bellwoods+park.jpg
    2+In+the+shade,+Trinity-Bellwoods+park.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 754
Last edited:
Why do you think there should be a means test for entry to parks in order to keep the less fortunate from using them. Or are only well off white people like you supposed to make use of public parks?

Why do you think there should be a means test for entry to parks in order to keep the less fortunate from using them? Or are only well off white people like you supposed to make use of public parks?

Argh, more rhetorical questions. I can't imagine making all my points masked as questions. I think people would be confused about when I am genuinely seeking knowledge and instead when I want to convey a point or criticism and don't really want your answer. In your case I think it's easier to identify as the latter, as several folks have taken the bait and answered your questions above and you have not acknowledged their replies or made attempt to continue the discussion your question initiated. Anyway, just IMO, it's an odd way to get a point across, when straight at it makes more sense, again just my opinion.

I don't know who the above is directed to, but I don't think anyone else has mentioned white people or wealth. This is 2014 Toronto, no one cares what colour you are or how much money you have when you're in a park, or anywhere else for that matter.

Now, if you're breaking the law or contravening by-laws in parks, then we should care. If that means the large party with a BBQ does not have a permit gets fined, or or the drunk sleeping on the park bench get in trouble for public intoxication and sleeping in public space, well that's the rules we must all adhere to. I don't consider that a means test.

Last edited:
I saw a bow tie wearing hipster in TB earlier who would, for a fee, compose a poem for you on a vintage manual typewriter.

Why do you think there should be a means test for entry to parks in order to keep the less fortunate from using them. Or are only well off white people like you supposed to make use of public parks?

Using the park is one thing, sleeping/urinating/doing drugs/throwing random garbage in it is another.
And nobody mentioned "white" here. Most homeless are white.

When one looks and acts in a way that scares other people, well, whose fault is it?

I agree with ksun. I was in Union Square in New York this summer and it was filled with people of all types yet I don't recall seeing puking, pissing, psychotic rantings at invisible people or petty crime. It is gated too, by the way.

You are either simply trolling at this point, or just dumb as a rock if you don't understand what it means to abide by bylaws that were created to allow ALL to enjoy our public parks.

You are either simply trolling at this point, or just dumb as a rock if you don't understand what it means to abide by bylaws that were created to allow ALL to enjoy our public parks.
Why the troll and dumb insults?

Dumb refers to a person that cannot speak; so I don't see the relevance or application here. How are rocks dumb - this makes no sense to me? Andrea is hardly a troll.

These are discussion forums, if you don't agree with a poster, simply post a rebuttal, or if you want clarity ask them to defend their position or clarify their comments. That's called an adult discussion.

Last edited:
Using the park is one thing, sleeping/urinating/doing drugs/throwing random garbage in it is another.
And nobody mentioned "white" here. Most homeless are white.

When one looks and acts in a way that scares other people, well, whose fault is it?

Why are you frightend of someone taking a nap? When do you see these things? I live across the street from a park, and never see the garbage throwing and drug use that has you in a panic.

Argh, more rhetorical questions. I can't imagine making all my points masked as questions. I think people would be confused about when I am genuinely seeking knowledge and instead when I want to convey a point or criticism and don't really want your answer. In your case I think it's easier to identify as the latter, as several folks have taken the bait and answered your questions above and you have not acknowledged their replies or made attempt to continue the discussion your question initiated. Anyway, just IMO, it's an odd way to get a point across, when straight at it makes more sense, again just my opinion.

I don't know who the above is directed to, but I don't think anyone else has mentioned white people or wealth. This is 2014 Toronto, no one cares what colour you are or how much money you have when you're in a park, or anywhere else for that matter.

Now, if you're breaking the law or contravening by-laws in parks, then we should care. If that means the large party with a BBQ does not have a permit gets fined, or or the drunk sleeping on the park bench get in trouble for public intoxication and sleeping in public space, well that's the rules we must all adhere to. I don't consider that a means test.

Actually, no they were direct questions of you. You pointed out the photos of well off white people in parks and said that what you wanted to see. You said you don't want homeless people in parks. Why are you afraid of the poor? They won't bite.

Back