News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 580     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Toronto Parks

At the beginning of this year, a partnership with Nuit Blanche was finalized. For 2014, a piece from this October's Nuit Blanche will be selected and placed in the park for the year. Starting in 2015, the Sculpture Garden will become a site that has a specific call, meaning that artists will create pieces that are specifically intended for the space and will remain for a year.

Obviously, this didn't happen. Anyone have an update?

Last I heard was this was now planned to start with the 2015 Nuit Blanche but I have seen nothing more on it. I have sent a message to Pam McConnell's office for an update.

Some work is happening in the park

sculpture.jpg

Attachments

• sculpture.jpg
    sculpture.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,302
The other day I walked through UofT immediately South of U Condos and admired the beautiful spaces there. The gardens on the east side of University North of College have been nicely restored, then past Nathan Philip Square through that arch on University. I understand Queen's Park and The Grange are poised for major upgrades. Im leaving aside all the fine work on the waterfront from East Bayfront to Ontario Place. My point is that it was just a few years ago we were bemoaning th state of Toronto's Park. But there is a real renaissance happening. I've overlooked countless examples.

What happened to the proposed redesign of that parkette at Roy Thompson Hall? Its a very visible space.

Yes, the City seems to finally be fixin' up local parks. In St Lawrence, the work on Berczy proceeds well and planning is starting for a much smaller upgrade of St James. I think that some of the areas noted in the post above (the RTH parkette and the area at the law courts) are not City parks.

Does anybody know what's going on at Clarence Square? It looks like they might be rebuilding the original fountain. I haven't been able to find the documents for this work on the city's website and Councillor Cressy's office is useless in responding to email and tweets.

Is there any precedent in Toronto or elsewhere for local citizens to take over the maintenance of a park? Im not referring to private parks. I could easily imagine hobbyists and retirees taking on fantastic plans.

Is there any precedent in Toronto or elsewhere for local citizens to take over the maintenance of a park? Im not referring to private parks. I could easily imagine hobbyists and retirees taking on fantastic plans.

There is a large volunteer organization that helps maintain high park.

There are sections of David Crombie Park maintained by volunteers. In particular the flower bed along the east side of Lower Jarvis at The Esplanade and the raised bed on the east side of Lower Sherbourne , also at The Esplanade.

Back