Toronto Parade at Concord CityPlace | 127.4m | 44s | Concord Adex | P + S / IBI

It's actually Dan Leckie Way:

Dan Leckie Way honours late education advocate, environmental activist and City Councillor

Toronto City Council has officially renamed Lower Portland Street, between Lake Shore Boulevard West and Queen's Quay West in honour of activist, educator and former Councillor Dan Leckie (1949-1998). Long-time friend, Councillor Olivia Chow presided over the renaming ceremony, which was attended by his widow, Nicki Leckie, his mother, Helen Leckie, and other family and friends.

"Renaming the street is a small and symbolic way to remind Torontonians of Dan's contribution towards improving the quality of life for Toronto's residents," said Councillor Olivia Chow (Ward 20 Trinity-Spadina). "Whether it was in education, municipal politics or the environment, Dan sought to better the condition of everyone's lives. He was a generous and dedicated man, and he is sorely missed."

Dan Leckie was a trustee of the Toronto School Board from 1972 to 1978, serving as Chair in 1977. While there, he introduced multi-culturalism programs, de-streaming and made vocational schools co-ed. In the same years, Leckie also worked with the Toronto Board of Health on ground-breaking initiatives like the Health Advocacy Unit, the Healthy City Programme and Toronto's AIDS Defence
Plan.

As a policy advisor, Dan Leckie worked in the office of Mayor John Sewell, and in 1981 for New Democratic Party Member of Parliament Dan Heap. From 1986 to 1991, while in the office of City Councillor Jack Layton and as City Councillor himself from 1994 to 1997, Leckie developed many health and environmental initiatives, including the Toronto Atmospheric Fund, the Food Policy Council, the Toronto Bay Initiative, the Better Buildings Partnership and the Task Force to Bring Back the Don.

Please excuse the early morning graininess. These shots were taken at 6:45AM.

Fort York Blvd is now freshly paved all the way to Dan Lewinsky Way so you can exit westbound on Fort York Blvd to southbouth Dan Lewinsky Way and out to Lakeshore now for the first time evAr!

Eventually this road will connect to Bathurst Street, but this ambitious (some say impossible) interchange won't happen until technology catches up with man's hubris, probably in 2062.

Residents are nervous that this will become a shortcut thru-street, but I'm sure we can have signs that prohibit entry during peak times, complete with pesky policemen to issue nasty tickets like any self-respecting neighbourhood I'm sure.

And if that doesn't work I'm sure the residents assoication will vote in speedbumps every 10 feet.

Heaven forbid one of the 10 million pugs that live in CityPlace get rundown on their way over to pee in Canoe Landing.

Residents across the lake in St. Catherines have said that they can see the giant C O N C O R D hoarding is now down from the SkyBridge (soon to be renamed the Rogers Center Bridge) revealing the new windows in all their bourgeoisie glory:

They've also planted a crapload of new trees and lots of landscaping I think in preparation for the opening of the Banana Bridge.

Which is now nicely lit, so frustrated suicide jumpers can enjoy it day or night.

I am completely against speed bumps, and I doubt the city would make this a local traffic only street considering it is right downtown. Fort York Boulevard is part of the road network, not some side street. Traffic is naturally going to be bad during rush hour and game nights, because every single damn street downtown is bad during rush hour and game nights. People who think a street in CityPlace is going to receive special treatment have no idea how the city works and would probably be happier living in the suburbs. You wont find peace and quiet in the middle of Canada's largest city.

In fact, all owners signed agreements when purchasing their condos saying that they are aware of the fact that traffic would be a disaster, and there is nothing that can be done. Its in the condo docs that everyone signs to own a unit in CityPlace and was a condition Skydome put in to prevent the new residents moving in from interfering with their business. (Along with the condition that GO/CN can run as many trains in the rail corridor as they want, and do work in the corridor whenever they want)

Now, what would be nice to see are raised crosswalks and intersections along Fort York. It would place a greater emphasis on pedestrians, and provide the calming effect of speedbumps. It would also look better than speed bumps, as the raised portion can be paved with bricks to add texture.

We did? Love for you to find that section in all condo agreements.

I was reading through mine last year and found it buried in the document. I'll try taking a look tonight or this weekend. The agreement was something Concord had to add in order to purchase the land from CN.

Pics taken Oct 22, 2012

Farmer's market right in front.

puUj2.jpg

hm24p.jpg

That bridge doesn't match either tower...That's going to look horrid when they meet up.

If only the towers were clad with the much nicer glass on the bridge. It's far less messy and the two-tone effect would've added a little more visual interest to an otherwise monochromatic and homogeneous grouping of towers.

huge opportunity gone for this to have looked great... had the glass matched one way or another. still though its cool! and aside from the missed matching its still a nice addition and ill still keep hope for its full completion

Here's the very first shot ever of the bridge lit up at night.

IMG_3005.jpg

And here's a normal daytime shot but from 40 floors up.

IMG_2996.jpg

I'm sure people much smarter than us have figure it out. They're not going to complete the bridge and then be like, "Oh hey, it doesn't match!" :rolleyes:

Back