Toronto Panorama at Concord CityPlace | 96.01m | 28s | Concord Adex | BDP Quadrangle

Re: rendering

cassiusa:

Kinda like Matrix - awkward ovoid cross-section makes for difficult to use spaces.

AoD

That standalone fridge placement sure creates a lot of wasted space.
Why not have the fridge door swing out into the galley aisle rather than reserving space just for the dfridge door to open. That could be more cabinet/counter space!

I've been consistently disappointed with Cityplace's floorplans - there's a lot of awkwardness and pinched, forced bits to them. The floorplates are fairly small, it seems to me.

One of my pet peeves is the open kitchens are usually positioned so that you either have to walk through them to get to the rest of your apartment, or have them sticking right out into your living space. A few of these 'open concept' kitchens might be nice here and there, but it'd be also pleasing to see most of them put in their own little nooks, like so many post-war Toronto apartments do.
Then again, maybe I'm lazy when it comes to dishwashing.

My god, this is like the bigfoot of condo rumors. Another sighting! Could nobody get a clearer picture of it before it ambled back into the woods?
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault! Bigfoot is blurry and that's extra scary to me. Because there's a large, out of focus monster roaming the countryside. "Run, he's fuzzy, get outta here""

-Mitch Hedberg

Yeah, Concord doesn't minimize hallway space at all. They seem to have a formula for living room/dining room size and stick to it. None of their suites have big living areas - even a 3 bedroom will have a smallish living area. (Penthouses excluded of course).

Haven't seen many suites these days that don't have an open concept kitchen (early Concord ones in Vancouver do have closed-in alcove kitchens without a pass thru to the dining room - more of a "Chinese kitchen" concept to contain steam and smells than any other reason).
For newer suites, the small size of suites benefits from the openness - even if the dinner guests see all the dirty pots and pans in the kitchen.

I'm in a Concord one bedroom which has quite a substantial living area. It is an open concept kitchen.

"They seem to have a formula for living room/dining room size and stick to it."

Formula is an impediment to good design. If the company is hiring people to design the status quo based on the last few years they they are delivering the lowest common denominator. In other words, you're getting shitty standard fare at Cityplace.

There's nothing wrong with having a formula--there are only so many ways to design a kitchen after all. It seems they threw out the rule book with this project however, the plans are bizzare, I couldn't imagine living (let alone furnishing) in any of those apartments.

Design 101- if you rely on rule books and formulas then you are in trouble as a professional designer.

Their TO designs are different from their Vancouver designs - mostly because the floorplates are bigger (deeper suites) in TO than Vancouver (and different zoning bylaws).
I tend to find their TO designs a bit more open too.
They first used the "kitchen all along one wall" design in their TO projects - it has since appeared in a couple of Vancouver projects - Spectrum and Smart.
But the majority of their Vancouver projects have a rectangular living/dining area and the bedrooms in a separate area - connected by space-eating hallways

No updates about Panorama. But seeing as how this is the only Cityplace project with an official thread I figured I'd put this here.

pano1_smaller.jpg

BIG VERSION

Rendering

>: There is a rendering on a Front street billboard. I will take a pic when I find my camera.

Back