Toronto Paintbox | ?m | 26s | Daniels | Diamond Schmitt

The City have just posted a tender call (it closes April 17) for the PARK - I assume this is the large empty area on north side of Dundas just west of the new Aquatic Centre.

The scope of work shall include but not be limited to the following:
 the revitalization of a new urban park in the heart of Regent Revitalization project. Refer to Contract Drawings for exact limits and extents of park components. Scope of Work to include supplying all materials, equipment, labour and supervision for the following:
 Underground utility isystems including, water sanitary and storm and connections to City utility systems.
 Electrical work including conduit, wiring, light standards and site power supply.
 Playground equipment including rubber saftey surfacing and brick sand play areas.
 Waterplay features including plumbing and footings.
 Landscaping including topsoil, planting mixes, trees, shrubs, groundcover, sod, and mulch.
 Irrigation system.
 Interior and exterior carpentry
 Metal work including stainless steel handrails and galvinized steel supports.
 Site furnishings including benches, drinking fountains, picnic tables, etc.
 Relocation and installation of brick time capsule.
 Cast in place concrete, including pedestrian and vehicular decorative paving, curbs, steps, retaining walls, raised planters, seating walls and public art bases.
 Unit paver paving including decorative paving in an artistic mosaic pattern.
 Loose stone paving area.
 Metal fences and gates.
 Greenhouse/ storage building including shade structure trellis, pizza oven, water storage units for adjacent edible food gardens.
 Construction Time-Frame
Upon issuance of Purchase Order, contractor will have 200 working days to complete all work as indicated on the Contract Drawings and Specifications. This includes completion of all required inspections and procurement of necessary permits.

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

10 April 2012

The Aquatic Centre is scheduled to open in June.

IMG3467-L.jpg

IMG3475-L.jpg

The once and future mid-section of Sackville Street

IMG3482-L.jpg

IMG3477-L.jpg

IMG3479-XL.jpg

Building to the east of the Arts Centre

IMG3481-L.jpg

Regardless of the little inserts of colour, Paintbox looks to be one of the drabbest, most institutional-looking buildings they could have put in Regent Park.

The Aquatics Centre is looking amazing though.

I like this building but it's a little too grey. As a matter of fact, all the new buildings going into Regent Park are grey. It comes at you from all sides, either charcoal grey, light grey or dark grey but it's still ALL grey and I just wish they would lighten up and give the area a bit more colour. (besides the tiny dabs on this building) If Daniels hates colour, at least give us some black and white. That way you don't have to work very hard and you still get a pleasing effect.

If Daniels hates colour?

Paintbox has colour dashes all over it, and the first buildings were all red brick.

Give us some black and white?

The Arts and Cultural Centre will be white - with dashes of colour all over it.

What were you saying?

Look at the skyline view of Regent Park and you will clearly see what I mean. It's grey spandrel overload.

Those first few Daniels buildings (in RP) have red brick on the bottom but up top it's all grey spandrel. ALL the buildings in regent park are mainly grey, including Lightbox. So what am I saying? Well, it appears that Toronto developers are completely OBSESSED with the colour grey but it would be nice for Regent Park to have at least a few buildings that don't have the top 2/3 covered in grey spandrel. I find it unbelievable that so many of you seem quite fine to live in a city where almost all new buildings are grey. Of all the possibilities, Toronto gets bombarded with grey? I guess I'm just cut from a different cloth than most of you guys because I love COLOUR. (all different ones) Grey just doesn't cut it for me. And after all, is there something wrong with having a little variety? (colour, shape, style, materials, height)

Yeah, the Arts Centre is a bit different, it has some white and colour, to go along with its grey parts.

Look at the skyline view of Regent Park and you will clearly see what I mean. It's grey spandrel overload.

Those first few Daniels buildings (in RP) have red brick on the bottom but up top it's all grey spandrel. ALL the buildings in regent park are mainly grey, including Lightbox. So what am I saying? Well, it appears that Toronto developers are completely OBSESSED with the colour grey but it would be nice for Regent Park to have at least a few buildings that don't have the top 2/3 covered in grey spandrel. I find it unbelievable that so many of you seem quite fine to live in a city where almost all new buildings are grey. Of all the possibilities, Toronto gets bombarded with grey? I guess I'm just cut from a different cloth than most of you guys because I love COLOUR. (all different ones) Grey just doesn't cut it for me. And after all, is there something wrong with having a little variety? (colour, shape, style, materials, height)

Yeah, the Arts Centre is a bit different, it has some white and colour, to go along with its grey parts.

I don't get this, but it may have somthing to do with the colour on those pictures. Looking at the buildings in person, the colour and shade contrasts are MUCH stronger.

Paintbox looks black, or a very very dark gray, like the TD Centre. It does not look similar to the other buildings at all. The colour bands stand out from as far away as Queen Street.

The buildings at Sackville have a very striking white geometric pattern on them. Again, it stands out from a great distance.

Of all the cluster developments in Toronto, this one does not stand out to me as particularly gray.

The Regent Park Arts Centre is going to be taking part in Doors Open this year. The condo beside this building is going up very quickly. They have already built half of the first floor.

Here's the info on Doors Open: http://wx.toronto.ca/inter/culture/...8B476F93E8EFBC46852579BF006BB65D?opendocument

Regent Park Arts and Cultural Centre

Currently under construction and opening in September 2012, the Regent Park Arts & Cultural Centre is poised to become the artistic, cultural and social core of the revitalized Regent Park and the newest addition to downtown Toronto’s thriving cultural landscape.
Designed by the award-winning city builders, Diamond and Schmitt Architects, the building features a large performance venue, programming and administration space for arts organizations, and a new location for the Centre for Social Innovation. The Regent Park Arts & Cultural Centre will be a place where people come to be inspired, to learn, to share, and to create. Imagine festivals, community events, performances, concerts, exhibitions, conferences and speaker series, fundraisers and gala events, and more.

The Regent Park Arts & Cultural Centre is a joint venture developed and operated by Artscape, Toronto Community Housing and The Daniels Corporation in consultation with a community advisory committee.

Event information:
Guided tours will be held hourly at 12pm, 1pm, 2pm and 3pm. This site is under currently construction and accessibility is limited. Hard hats and boots are required and will be supplied for participants. Only a limited number of visitors can participate in each tour.

And if anyone needs an excuse to get out there before doors open:

Join us for A Second Look at Regent Park as the community continues to undergo some big changes – with Phase 1 of the Revitalization now complete and Phase 2 well underway. Hear personal stories from the people who live, work, and contribute to this vibrant neighbourhood while exploring the old, the new, and everything in between. With a nod to the mosaic of community perspectives, participants will experience the neighbourhood from two perspectives at each stop.

More info at:

http://janeswalk.net/walks/view/a_2nd_look_at_regent_park/

And if anyone needs an excuse to get out there before doors open:

Join us for A Second Look at Regent Park as the community continues to undergo some big changes – with Phase 1 of the Revitalization now complete and Phase 2 well underway. Hear personal stories from the people who live, work, and contribute to this vibrant neighbourhood while exploring the old, the new, and everything in between. With a nod to the mosaic of community perspectives, participants will experience the neighbourhood from two perspectives at each stop.

Well, this guy seems to be making quite a 'splash' at 1 Cole as he seems to have gotten a reputation for urinating in the planters to the entrance of the 1 Cole West Building ... so much so, that the cedars have all 'died' from uric acid poisoning. I wonder if he'll make an appearance whilst Jane's Walk is in motion ?
album.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Back