Toronto Ontario Line: Queen-Spadina Station | ?m | 1s | Metrolinx | HDR

We are paying for what is by some accounts the second most expensive subway in the history of humankind and getting bare-bone stations that look like the Ottawa LRT. Crazy.

Don’t even get me started with east harbour.

Sydney metro’s city and southwest or Grand Paris Express should be the bar to reach here. Give us grand and cavernous cathedrals of mass transportation if we are paying this much.
Building subways is expensive though...where complex excavation, structural soundness, logistics, materiality and liability all have to be considered. Particularly where deep tubing under our city's oldest areas and crossing where a subway system already exists. So making it all fanciful for the visual appeal will likely drive up any costs of this further...

...I'm not trying to justify any of the cheapening here. And maybe there is way to do all this at a better costs with more wowie aesthetics that our purported spending adverse government have not considered...but with all things considering, I'm not sure we can aspire for greatness here under our given climate, for right or wrong.

We are paying for what is by some accounts the second most expensive subway in the history of humankind and getting bare-bone stations that look like the Ottawa LRT. Crazy.

Don’t even get me started with east harbour.

Sydney metro’s city and southwest or Grand Paris Express should be the bar to reach here. Give us grand and cavernous cathedrals of mass transportation if we are paying this much.

Coincidentally I was just watching videos on the new Sydney Metro and was struck by how beautiful their stations and platforms are. There are some similarities to Ontario Line but their system looks truly world class.

This video does thorough walkthroughs of the new stations opening in August.

Additional pics on Reddit:

Last edited:
Coincidentally I was just watching videos on the new Sydney Metro and was struck by how beautiful their stations and platforms are. There are some similarities to Ontario Line but their system looks truly world class.

This video does thorough walkthroughs of the new stations opening in August.

Thanks for ruining the OL stations for me 🤣

Is it really the second most expensive subway build out?? Why, I find that hard to believe?

July 9: A lot of activity on the south side of Queen Street, some, but not too much, on the north side today.

South side of Queen Street:

20240709_121736.jpg

North side of Queen Street:

20240709_122249.jpg

Attachments

• 20240709_122251.jpg
    20240709_122251.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240709_121739.jpg
    20240709_121739.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 1

Back