Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

How ironic for "Mr Subways" to have discovered elevated track. Just like the SRT.

Hypocrisy knows no bounds...

He's not a hypocrite. The problem with the SRT has always been that it just arbitrary ends near Kennedy and Eglinton. An extension of the Bloor Danforth Line is not so much about the technology being used but rather the fact that it allows for transfer-free crosstown travel. I'd just as well support the Glenn Murray proposal from circa 2013 if it allowed for continuous travel from the West End all the way to Scarborough Centre (and Malvern).

I ask those two questions both out of general curiosity and, more importantly, because I am worried that the Province may propose a tunnel port that would infringe upon (or necessitate the partial tearing up of) Corktown Common, which should be a total nonstarter.

Why is this a non-starter? is the public good of having a small strip of park removed (and likely a pedestrian/cycle bridge to a new employment district added) worth about $500,000,000? Is it worth more than eliminating 5+ minutes from a transfer for thousands of people a day? Where is your public good comparison (vs just saying it's so)?

It's distinct from CalTrain, even though it serves much of the same purpose.
Used to be. Not the extensions though:
Caltrain to Sacramento? BART considering standard-gauge rail for 2nd Bay Crossing

In November, BART announced the next steps to explore a second Transbay rail crossing. The news that you might have seen is that the study, starting in mid-2019, will compare options for the broad-gauge tracks that only BART uses in the state, and the standard-gauge tracks used by Caltrain, Amtrak/Capitol Corridor, and High Speed Rail.
A benefit of the standard gauge option would be providing a one seat ride from San Francisco, the Peninsula and Silicon Valley to Sacramento and the Central Valley, and get more use from the state's investments in a statewide rail network.
[...]
https://www.greencaltrain.com/2018/...town-extension-on-hold-for-governance-review/

But the limitations and drawbacks of BART are substantial:

• Cannot run express trains
  • Trains lack amenities important to long distance riders who commute more than 15 miles each way:
    • Restrooms
    • Electrical outlets
    • Tables for laptops
    • Eating and drinking are prohibited on BART trains.
  • BART is powered by a live ground level “third rail,” which requires total grade separation to prevent pedestrians from contacting the dangerous high-voltage third rail. This also means a huge up-front cost before a single BART train can run, whereas, with conventional rail, communities have the option of pursuing grade-separations with trains running in the meantime.
  • The BART system was custom designed to be different from other train systems, and is incompatible with those systems:
    • All BART trains must be custom-produced, thus limiting the number of vendors and greatly increasing the cost. Conventional rail systems like Caltrain, on the other hand, are able to purchase equipment already designed for other systems.
    • Only BART trains can run on BART tracks. Conventional rail like Amtrak, ACE and Caltrain can run on each other’s tracks. In Southern California, commuter Metrolink trains share tracks with long distance Amtrak trains. That means fewer transfers and more convenient travel options for riders. Service can incrementally improve as infrastructure and funding allows.
Because of the high capital and operating cost of BART, its competitive advantage is not serving the outer suburbs or provide inter-regional service. Its urban subway technology should rather be reserved for high density urban environment. Washington Metro, which built at about the same time as BART, carries twice as much riders as BART because its covers the DC urban core better than BART in San Francisco.[...]
http://www.bayrailalliance.org/bart_extensions/

Why is this a non-starter? is the public good of having a small strip of park removed (and likely a pedestrian/cycle bridge to a new employment district added) worth about $500,000,000? Is it worth more than eliminating 5+ minutes from a transfer for thousands of people a day? Where is your public good comparison (vs just saying it's so)?
It's been discussed at length in this string and others, and Steve Munro also discussed it at length. A poster from today's Ontario’s Transit Plans: Details Emerge in City Report
[...]
AM | June 4, 2019 at 3:07 pm
Steve, thanks for this. You mentioned briefly the question of routing of the Ontario Line coming over west of the Don from East Harbour; I remain confused by the potential feasibility. If, as various provincial officials have seemed to intimate, the plan is to bridge over the Don (rather than tunnel under it), and to leverage the existing rail corridor in some way, it seems there are (at least!) two key questions:
1) Where in that general area west of the Don and adjacent-ish to the rail corridor is there room for the tunnel port to get the OL tracks under ground in time for the Sumach stop; and
2) Depending on that answer, is a Sumach stop even feasible anymore given how tight the turn would have to be?
I ask those two questions both out of general curiosity and, more importantly, because I am worried that the Province may propose a tunnel port that would infringe upon (or necessitate the partial tearing up of) Corktown Common, which I believe should be a total nonstarter. Thanks.
Steve: I too have exactly the same concerns. When one remembers that the Metrolinx consultant behind the Ontario line is the same person who thought that SmartTrack as a mainline rail operation could run along the Richview Expressway lands north of Eglinton that had already been sold and had buildings on them, one really has to wonder just how outdated the napkin he drew the route on might have been.

This would be the award-winning, highly popular park, that is artfully designed and integrated with a Flood Protection Landform that cannot be disturbed without comprising the entire West Donlands area, right?

This would the park we spent millions on, and actually got good value for money.

This would the only large public park in the immediate area.

That's the park you would so trivially shrink and/mess up?

I'll take a pass on that, thanks.

Not to mention the risks/costs of messing w/the FPL.

Or

The many other problems w/this idea, none of which have seen a satisfactory solution publicly provided.

The many other problems w/this idea, none of which have seen a satisfactory solution publicly provided.
One of which, surely, is the conundrum to meeting both provincial and federal flood protection for a portal unless it's behind the flood protection of the berm, which pushes it even further west from the Don if the latest plan to use the LSE track alignment is to be used. Napkins just don't seem to be up to the job of mapping what's necessary:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Co...6c0b9f6d49aacc!8m2!3d43.6541277!4d-79.3524027

I think ML and IO will literally put out an RFP asking the industry to pick a technology that will work in Canadian winter, is the cheapest, meets the forecasted ridership and can handle tight curves.

I also think ML would propose an elevated or at grade section west of Bathurst to Exhibition Station. Of course they wouldn't give a crap about TTC's pet streetcar project to Dufferin Loop. They already passed a law that can prevent the city/TTC from extending the tracks to Dufferin loop.

exhibition alignment.png

I see this being a rather cheap way to get the line to Exhibition

Last edited:
One of which, surely, is the conundrum to meeting both provincial and federal flood protection for a portal unless it's behind the flood protection of the berm, which pushes it even further west from the Don if the latest plan to use the LSE track alignment is to be used. Napkins just don't seem to be up to the job of mapping what's necessary:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Co...6c0b9f6d49aacc!8m2!3d43.6541277!4d-79.3524027

If I recall the Ford brothers waterfront plan, flood protection has never been something they've been concerned with.

But how do you get it to Ontario Place - which is almost a kilometre further south?
It won't. That's the feeling i'm getting from the wording. There will be only one station at Exhibition/Ontario Place. They are planning it as an interchange station with the concept that it will relief GO Train riders. With one station, it'll have to make a convenient transfer with the LSW line. The Ontario Place name seems like a marketing strategy to sell the idea Ontario Place is getting rapid transit.

In the city report it reads:
Western Section
The Ontario Line would extend in a tunnel under Queen Street West from Osgoode Station westward an interchange with the Lakeshore West GO rail line at the Exhibition Station and Ontario Place. Although the alignment and station location are still being determined, connections with the Queen and King streetcars will likely be provided.

And about East Harbour
The Ontario Line project proposes a combination of tunnelled and elevated sections, subject to further analysis to confirm the specific approach. In particular, the Province has proposed several options for an elevated guideway across the Don River. The elevated guideway is suggested as a way to reduce the distance for passengers transferring to/from the East Harbour Station on the GO rail line, and to reduce overall construction costs. Potential changes to the alignment in this area may be needed to accommodate an elevated guideway; further assessment is required to understand the proposal and its potential impacts.

To me it reads as ML is making the Ontario Line to relief both LSW and LSE. They could force people to transfer by charging a premium if anyone taps on/off at Union. Of course this works out very well for ML as their long term strategy to divert people from Union Station. This motivates ML to actually build the line but will there be enough capacity to relief the Yonge Line long term? It seems like Queen's Park has gotten their way in messing up future TO transit for the greater goods of the 905 region riders. TTC can also expect to lose all their revenue from the riders that normally take the subway to Union as I don't see why Queen's Park will let TTC handle the fare/revenue on this line.

I think ML and IO will literally put out an RFP asking the industry to pick a technology that will work in Canadian winter, is the cheapest, meets the forecasted ridership and can handle tight curves.

I also think ML would propose an elevated or at grade section west of Bathurst to Exhibition Station. Of course they wouldn't give a crap about TTC's pet streetcar project to Dufferin Loop. They already passed a law that can prevent the city/TTC from extending the tracks to Dufferin loop.

View attachment 189194
I see this being a rather cheap way to get the line to Exhibition

Looks interesting, but is it possible to make such a quick transition from underground to elevated just west of Bathurst? Especially, after taking a sharp 90-degrees turn.

Because I understand how large tunnel ports generally have to be and, ergo, that we’re not talking about “a small strip of park.”

Looks interesting, but is it possible to make such a quick transition from underground to elevated just west of Bathurst? Especially, after taking a sharp 90-degrees turn.
A lot of commenters appear to be woefully unaware of the physical limitations of a system that "can handle more passengers than Line 1" in terms of the size of the carriages, length of carriages, and the minimum radius possible on a flat curve, let alone a compound one going into a tunnel. Even London's Dockland Light Rail has severe limitations, and those carriages are tiny compared to the Ontario Line need. Even if you can squeeze in a very tight curve, wear on wheels, rails and suspension goes up geometrically, let alone the squeal factor. And every curve slows a vehicle down, some tighter curves severely limit speed.

Perhaps many of the Public are gullible and naive on these things, but for some of us with an engineering background, listening to even Verster talk, you damn well know he's making it up.

Next: The elevator to the Moon. Dug Ford's jaw dropped and broke, what he saw was so amazing...and we should demand the Feds commit money to it!

Back