Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

That was the TTC not Metrolinx they wanted it to be like Bloor- Younge on lines 1 and 2 and Sheppard - Younge Line 4. If you want an actual bad name for a station you can look to Pioneer Village satin, it was supposed to be Stells West until a local councillor got it remained Black creek Piner Village station, but it would have been too long to put into the artwork for the sati0n.Meanwhile, it's a ten-minute walk from the place it's named for and you can't even see it from either location.

You might want to fix this autocorrect disaster.

And it was Metrolinx that decided the station name, not the TTC.

In terms of place-making, names are important. They linger around.

Real Estate Agents must be overjoyed that North Forest Hill is going to be closer to Forest Hill Station than the vast majority of Forest Hill.

Meanwhile, I'll live closer to Leaside Station than maybe 100% of Leasiders, despite living in North Toronto and not Leaside.

On the other hand, names like Cedarvale and Fairbank which are not regularly used, may one day be synonymous with certain areas of the city. So names can be used to give meaning to place too.

The former Metrolinx CEO owned a bunch of property north of Eglinton and Bathurst, which explains why he wanted it called Forest Hill. The values of those properties just spiked up!

Okay, I just made that up. But it’s a nice sounding conspiracy theory!

That was the TTC not Metrolinx they wanted it to be like Bloor- Younge on lines 1 and 2 and Sheppard - Younge Line 4. If you want an actual bad name for a station you can look to Pioneer Village satin, it was supposed to be Stells West until a local councillor got it remained Black creek Piner Village station, but it would have been too long to put into the artwork for the sati0n.Meanwhile, it's a ten-minute walk from the place it's named for and you can't even see it from either location.

Actually the TTC held a naming competition and Pioneer Village was one of the most popular names. The TTC wanted Steeles West as it falls inline with the traditional naming convention. I personally like station names based on neighbourhoods rather than just the street name. Pioneer village is very close to the station and is a nearby landmark and point of interest. As for Forest Hill station. I guess it could have been called Upper Village as that’s the retail strip. It technically is North Forest Hill. So the name Forest Hill is more appropriate than Bathurst North (as its not that far north to call it a ‘north’ station). St. Clair West should arguably be called Forest Hill station as the Heath street entrance is 5 min walk to the Forest Hill Village.

As for Eglinton, I would have called it Midtown Centre or Yonge - Eglinton Centre. Eglinton is a boring name but I can live with it.

Food for thought for today:

Forgetting the "Relief" component of this subway towards the Yonge Line for a moment.... Would we need a Queen Street subway if we gave the King and Queen Streetcar their own transit lanes and removed cars from those downtown streets?

I don't buy the idea that we are cash-strapped in this city, we are just afraid to raise taxes. But, lets assume that we were cash strapped, wouldn't the overwhelmingly obvious position then to be to remove cars from downtown and prioritize street-level transit? The King Streetcar Pilot Project cost only $1,500,000 dollars.

Forgetting the "Relief" component of this subway towards the Yonge Line for a moment.... Would we need a Queen Street subway if we gave the King and Queen Streetcar their own transit lanes and removed cars from those downtown streets?

I don't buy the idea that we are cash-strapped in this city, we are just afraid to raise taxes. But, lets assume that we were cash strapped, wouldn't the overwhelmingly obvious position then to be to remove cars from downtown and prioritize street-level transit? The King Streetcar Pilot Project cost only $1,500,000 dollars.

I would like to see all streetcar lines to be a reserved lane.

However, that would man taking away on street parking.

That would dramatically improve transit for short trips within downtown.

However, King and Queen streetcars would still be relatively slow and not very high capacity, because of the built form: too many intersections, too many traffic lights, no space for very long trains and very long platforms. In case of the complete removal of cars, narrow streets would encourage pedestrians to cross mid-block and make it dangerous to run the streetcars at full speed.

I'd guess each route (King and Queen) would max out at about 5,000 pphpd, if they run under the best possible conditions but remain on surface.

Hello members,

My apologies if this is the incorrect forum. I am looking for TTC proposed/official expansion plans for the next 5-10 years.

Where can I source that information?

Many many thanks!

Ed

Hello members,

My apologies if this is the incorrect forum. I am looking for TTC proposed/official expansion plans for the next 5-10 years.

Where can I source that information?

Many many thanks!

Ed

You can find it here, the TTC's 10 year official capital budget (2017-2026) and their 5 year corporate plan.

Back