Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Is there a better suggested name you can come up with?

It should be unoffically Queen - as Carlaw will have two stations. I expect the offical station list possibly be:

Greektown
Gerrard
Leslieville
East Harbour or Riverside
Sumach
Moss Park
City Hall
Osgoode

.. Queen and Pape follow in Eglinton West's footsteps to have a name applicable for both Lines.

There have been no funding commitments from any levels of government, so at this point we can't discuss how funding will affect scheduling, because we don't know when those funds will materialize. So something else must be pushing the DRL to a 2025 start.

After the TPAP is completed in six months (assuming the information on reliefline.ca is correct) the project should be able to enter design phase. I don't understand how it will take seven years of design for the project to be able to enter construction, especially when the latter phases of design and the beginning of construction can happen concurrently.

I know nothing has been ANNOUNCED, but I imagine (or would hope) someone must have all of these long-list of projects where work has already begun blocked out on a calendar somewhere to see where they MIGHT fit in existing revenue sources.

It should be unoffically Queen - as Carlaw will have two stations. I expect the offical station list possibly be:

Greektown
Gerrard
Leslieville
East Harbour or Riverside
Sumach
Moss Park
City Hall
Osgoode

.. Queen and Pape follow in Eglinton West's footsteps to have a name applicable for both Lines.

Nothing's wrong with "Carlaw", there's no other station with that name. "Leslieville" when we already have "Leslie" in the system is redundant, that's how we wound up with "Sunnybrook Park" for the Crosstown.

Remember we have both "Spadina" and "Dupont" on Spadina Road and everyone seemingly can make the distinction, so why not "Carlaw" and "Gerrard"? I'm all for naming things after neighbourhoods too, but wherever possible, having the cross-street in the title helps with wayfinding.

The Island of Montreal is like the megacity of Toronto, almost the same area, and large swathes of it are suburban. The "City" of Montreal is a big mix, though, you have boroughs like Pierrefonds-Roxborough which are entirely suburban compared to separate cities on the island like Westmount, which is the second densest municipality in Canada.

Island of Montreal:
area 499.2 km2
population: 1,942,044
density: 3 890

Municipality of Toronto:
area: 630.21 km2
population: 2,731,571
density: 4 334

But aggregating over large areas is a very bad predictor of transit ridership, the important thing is how dense populations (and especially jobs!) are to rapid transit lines. Vancouver has been very smart about planning density near stations. Montreal has the big advantage that it doesn't have a giant "yellow belt" of zoned single family housing that Toronto does.
Density isn't everything obviously, but it does contribute to mass transit ridership. I tried to get an idea of the density of comparable central areas of Toronto and Montreal using federal ridings (census tracts would have taken way too long). For Toronto I ended up with, roughly, everything from the lake to the 401 and Victoria Park to the Humber.

Montreal
area 188 km2
population 1,192,506
density 6351

Toronto
area 186 km2
population 1,198,732
density 6432

So they ended up almost identical. Toronto is more dense downtown and in high rise areas while Montreal is more dense in the low rise neighbourhoods. Toronto's growth rate was almost double in the last census period. So while Montreal historically had a more densely populated inner city, Toronto has caught up and is now pulling ahead.

You folks spend a little too much time worrying about the names IMHO. Call them Ed, Tom, Helena and Bob for all I care. Just get them built and running properly.

Station names can be helpful for wayfinding, especially in a city that promotes tourism.

And the Crosstown naming a station "Eglinton" is simply idiotic, and shows how screwed up Metrolinx can be.

So I think that station names are a quite reasonable thing to worry about.

Station names can be helpful for wayfinding, especially in a city that promotes tourism.

And the Crosstown naming a station "Eglinton" is simply idiotic, and shows how screwed up Metrolinx can be.

So I think that station names are a quite reasonable thing to worry about.
In terms of place-making, names are important. They linger around.

Real Estate Agents must be overjoyed that North Forest Hill is going to be closer to Forest Hill Station than the vast majority of Forest Hill.

Meanwhile, I'll live closer to Leaside Station than maybe 100% of Leasiders, despite living in North Toronto and not Leaside.

On the other hand, names like Cedarvale and Fairbank which are not regularly used, may one day be synonymous with certain areas of the city. So names can be used to give meaning to place too.

That was the TTC not Metrolinx they wanted it to be like Bloor- Younge on lines 1 and 2 and Sheppard - Younge Line 4. If you want an actual bad name for a station you can look to Pioneer Village satin, it was supposed to be Stells West until a local councillor got it remained Black creek Piner Village station, but it would have been too long to put into the artwork for the sati0n.Meanwhile, it's a ten-minute walk from the place it's named for and you can't even see it from either location.

Back