Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

So because of fire codes influence on how underground stations are built like what we see in new extension I take it that that completely new DRL stations that aren’t interchanges would have 2 or 3 underground levels and each level would be at least 20 foot high.
That's another reason why its so important to built a shallow subway line if they want to do it right.
The relief line tunnels will be deeper than the Line 2 (Bloor-Danforth) or the Line 4 (Sheppard) tunnels. Heights would depend on construction techniques and architectural designs. How many levels will depend upon where the fare collection will occur or if an underground vehicle transfer level would used.

From link.
26252-91560.jpg
Oops.

These days it of course has to be vibration proof and fire safer. Don’t know if what is seen on the new extension is required to necessitate the day interior be expansive and open with high ceilings so when you’re at the top floor it seems like standing on the edge of a precipice when looking down at platform level.

These days it of course has to be vibration proof and fire safer. Don’t know if what is seen on the new extension is required to necessitate the day interior be expansive and open with high ceilings so when you’re at the top floor it seems like standing on the edge of a precipice when looking down at platform level.
My guess is that putting a small rubber pad under the rail ties is a less expensive way of dealing with vibration than tunneling 20m+ underground.

If the proposed RL tunnels are so deep, why does it have to follow surface streets outside the core? I’m thinking in particular of the 90 degree turn at Queen and Carlaw. Other cities don’t seem to constrain their subway lines to follow the streets above.

If the proposed RL tunnels are so deep, why does it have to follow surface streets outside the core? I’m thinking in particular of the 90 degree turn at Queen and Carlaw. Other cities don’t seem to constrain their subway lines to follow the streets above.

That's not that deep. To put it in perspective, Ottawa's new tunnel was raised to about that same 18ish meter depth when it was realigned to follow Ottawa's queen Street. The previous 'cross country's alignment would have been a mighty deep 45m down to clear things like underground parking garages. I imagine there's still enough underground infrastructure in Toronto outside the core that you'd require similar depths. Even if there's nothing currently that would require that kind of depth a subway tunnel would preclude densification unless it was that deep. European cities are fairly low rise so wouldn't have that issue. In North America it seems densification always means going way up with towers.

Last edited:
I've often wondered the same. Tight curves not only seriously complicate the tunneling, they complicate the operation, necessitate the tunnel being wider, and often limit the length of cars used and the geometry of their construction. And they limit speed.
Even if there's nothing currently that would require that kind of depth a subway tunnel would preclude densification unless it was that deep.
Geologic inconsistencies require a deeper bore for that area.

Last edited:
The only curves this line will see at least on the east side would be from the Unilever site to Queen and Carlaw, and north of that there’d be another 2 along Overlea Blvd.

The curves at Union also give people permanent hearing damage.

It is not something that should be replicated anywhere else in the system.

It was actually WORSE. That was before they lubricated the tracks. They found that when it rained or snowed on streetcar tracks, the screeching almost disappeared. It is the finding of a lubricate that doesn't freeze in winter that is the problem.

The curves at Union also give people permanent hearing damage.

It is not something that should be replicated anywhere else in the system.

I would argue that the sounds are just as bad between Bloor Yonge and College, and between Eglinton West and St Clair West. Oh well, time to bring a decibel reader and gather some primary data.

It was actually WORSE. That was before they lubricated the tracks. They found that when it rained or snowed on streetcar tracks, the screeching almost disappeared. It is the finding of a lubricate that doesn't freeze in winter that is the problem.

Although I am not aware of the lubricants the TTC uses, petroleum lubricating oil does not freeze solid, it becomes waxy and cannot be poured because it's nonpolar and not pure. However, it shouldn't matter because the friction between the wheel of a train and the rail should almost instantly increase its temperature to one in which it's a fluid. However, even in a waxy state, lubricating oils still should mitigate the sound produced by the flange. Unless of course, the issue is preventing the sprayers from applying the lubricant (in which case, why are the nozzles not heated?)

The difference I think is that the turns at Union are for an extended period of time than those turns.
I mean, There's also the giant S curve between Spadina and St George that I missed. All of which are about as bad as each other, and also, the distance between Eglinton to St Clair is about 3 km; one of the longest, if not, the longest section of uninterrupted subway line on the TTC.

I mean, There's also the giant S curve between Spadina and St George that I missed. All of which are about as bad as each other, and also, the distance between Eglinton to St Clair is about 3 km; one of the longest, if not, the longest section of uninterrupted subway line on the TTC.

Is there anywhere to put a station that would be worth it.

If DRL long is like a Spadina line then it could go diagonally in a straight line from the Danforth to Eglinton and Don Mills.

A major station in the middle could stop on Overlea at East York Centre and and an actual East York downtown could be built up around it.

Back