Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I am one of those downtown dwellers who hardly take the TTC mostly because 1) most of my trips are relatively short (< 2km) and spending $3 is simply not worth it. 2) streetcars are so unreliable that you may end up waiting a longer time than if you simply walk.

I agree with diminutive that all those highrise condos will probably general not much demand during rush hours. Downtowners normally use transit during evenings/weekends to other parts of the city, not for commuting between 7 and 9. And we all know that even the Yonge line downtown section is hardly half full during off peak hours.

See you have already nailed down two reasons why latent demand isn't satisified - downtowners avoid using transit for commuting because it is a path of great resistance (which is also why you see a significantly higher level of usage during inclimate weather). And aren't most subway lines anywhere half full off peak?

AoD

Last edited:
The DRL proposal seem to be missing the point. Relieving Yonge from the East, that's the priority. Union to Sheppard-Don Mills should be the first phase(s). We can think about DRL west of Union after. Let's concentrate on Relief of Yonge first, then Bloor after.

Looking at the current proposal, you'd think Bloor-Danforth was the most crowded, not Yonge. That's just crazy.

Before extending it all the way to Don Mills perhaps they should do AD2W <15 minute service first on the GO lines nearby and see if it's still needed after? Getting someone to travel almost an hour from Fairview to downtown never made much sense to me in the first place.

Not quite, it might get into the Throne Speech, but really, there is a lot more work before it can be considered a real project. I'd rather them get it right given the amount of money that will be spent on the project.

AoD
I hope it comes this year. I hope the EA can begin later this year if everything goes right. November.

The Liberals should build the 8.3 Billion DRL, the Dundas West Eglinton-Don Mills DRL, seeing as the have a majority government.

The GTA half of the promised money can be spent 4 or 5 times without any difficulty. Full GO electrification will eat half of the GTA funds unless an additional source is added (taxation, federal partner, ...).

The non-GTA half is far more interesting for pie-in-the-sky projects since there are far fewer multi-billion dollar items waiting on the sidelines.

Getting the basic DRL portion out of the gates in their first 4 years will be a struggle as it is.

The GTA half of the promised money can be spent 4 or 5 times without any difficulty. Full GO electrification will eat half of the GTA funds unless an additional source is added (taxation, federal partner, ...).

The non-GTA half is far more interesting for pie-in-the-sky projects since there are far fewer multi-billion dollar items waiting on the sidelines.

Getting the basic DRL portion out of the gates in their first 4 years will be a struggle as it is.

You think so. I think with a majority it should leaving some breathing room. They have to produce some for 2018 imo.

Ottawa LRT Phase II, K-W LRT, and HSR will eat up a fair bit of that other $14B, and the northern highway expansion (including twinning Highway 17) will take up a lot of the rest. There may only be a couple billion left on the table when all of those projects are done.

I agree that the GTA projects will be chewing up that entire $15B without much difficulty though. GO electrification of the Lakeshore and Kitchener corridors was pegged somewhere around $2B. The entire network would be somewhere around $5B. It's not hard to see that the City is probably going to have to pitch in something for the DRL, because the entire line isn't going to be built with just Provincial dollars.

Go electrification will probably cost around $8 billion, which leaves enough to get most other big move projects finished provided they fund only the first phase of the DRL.

Ottawa LRT Phase II, K-W LRT, and HSR will eat up a fair bit of that other $14B, and the northern highway expansion (including twinning Highway 17) will take up a lot of the rest. There may only be a couple billion left on the table when all of those projects are done.

I agree that the GTA projects will be chewing up that entire $15B without much difficulty though. GO electrification of the Lakeshore and Kitchener corridors was pegged somewhere around $2B. The entire network would be somewhere around $5B. It's not hard to see that the City is probably going to have to pitch in something for the DRL, because the entire line isn't going to be built with just Provincial dollars.

Go electrification will probably cost around $8 billion, which leaves enough to get most other big move projects finished provided they fund only the first phase of the DRL.

Is GO 100 percent on board with electrification?

Is GO 100 percent on board with electrification?

They've done studies about it. I think it was flying under the radar before because the sexiness was in local transit projects (LRTs and subways), so there wasn't much attention or funding directed to electrification. That's just my interpretation though.

They've done studies about it. I think it was flying under the radar before because the sexiness was in local transit projects (LRTs and subways), so there wasn't much attention or funding directed to electrification. That's just my interpretation though.

If not, just expand to all day service then. They need to make the decision that yesterday.

Back