Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Got you all covered! Just walked by with my camera :)

13929227118_7cbc6056ea_b.jpg

If you look at the angle of the glass and the forms of the concrete above you can see how the glass will slant as it goes up, with the curves this will have a great wave effect.

Here's a quick crappy example of how it should look

3xnulFj.jpg

Besides, Zanzibar has one of the best facades in the downtown core.

Right now, I think Zanzibar has the best animated, neon sign in Toronto. We have so few neon signs left, that there really isn't much competition. The gold bricks are quite unique too. Like the Sam's sign, I'd like to keep this one around.

How many other large neon signs remain in Toronto? Besides the El Mocambo, few come to mind.

Sorry for the image quality, but here's where they were at today. Not sure what this pour is exactly. Those reinforced beams are massive with super dense rebar. It can't be like this on every floor can it? Also, my lens was playing tricks on me, the floor isn't curved like that.

photo.JPG

Sorry for the image quality, but here's where they were at today. Not sure what this pour is exactly. Those reinforced beams are massive with super dense rebar. It can't be like this on every floor can it? Also, my lens was playing tricks on me, the floor isn't curved like that.

Hi Hawc,

If you read earlier posts that both I and (IIRC) danwaring have been writing, these are massive transfer beams that you are seeing being formed. This will only happen on this floor. Below these beams, the building's support walls are in different locations to those above, so these beams have to transfer the loads from one spot to others to be carried to the ground.

In regards to the floor being curved, while some people on UT have called this a simple box with a drape on it, that's not quite true. It is a box, but about 1/3 of each exterior wall is pulled out at one corner. A quick look at the floor plans in the dataBase file will show that.

A few more shots from today. I do think that floor droops down at the south east corner.
IMG_0710.jpg
IMG_0714.jpg
IMG_0715.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0710.jpg
    IMG_0710.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 1,077
  • IMG_0714.jpg
    IMG_0714.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,071
  • IMG_0715.jpg
    IMG_0715.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,080
I do think that floor droops down at the south east corner.

What do you mean? That the floor is not level? It's level across the entire floor.

What happens at each corner is that one wall juts out a bit.

At the southeast corner, the east-west wall angles to the south slightly. At the northeast corner, the north-south wall angles to the east a bit. At the northwest corner, the east-well wall angles out to the north somewhat. At the southwest corner, the north-south wall angles to the west.

The height of the floor below the one that shown in waterscapes-guy's pics is just about 2 meters. Is it a mechanical space? It's far to low to be a residential floor…

Back