Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Interesting. So far, I like this glass more than any ive seen go up in recent years, looks incredibly high quality, but perhaps I need my memory jogged...

Got it right got it so very, very wrong. This is set to be one of the most beautiful structures Toronto has ever seen. This isn't Aura.

^ the Bay and CIBC buildings are so dull and boring. one Bloor will add some contrast to the area.

^ the Bay and CIBC buildings are so dull and boring. one Bloor will add some contrast to the area.

While the glam thing going up at 1 Bloor E might make them look a bit dated, they are respectable sentinels. There is an evocation of the 70's here that creates a story, confirming that this intersection has been an important place for a long time. I like that.

Agree 1000%. We've always thought this way. While boring to some, they represent Canada and our history. They represent a time and a place and weren't built to show off or dominate. They were built with purpose. They were meant to be practical.

We will take these over anything in Dubai or Shanghai. Anytime.

CIBC looks distinctive with those vertical concrete lines and the concrete mechanical floors that contrast with the dark glass. HBC, on the other hand, is bland and forgettable. But because they're from the same time period and similar in size and style, they form a distinctive gateway into downtown.

Could someone explain what they are actually doing on the first floor of the tower? They seem to have constructed hollow cubes with plywood and then between them placed mountains of rebar and now it looks like they are getting ready to pour concrete over all. I suppose it must be some sort of base for the tower, but what happens to the hollow parts that have been constructed with the plywood cubes? Do they remain as is, or do they serve some other purpose? Or will this form the ceiling of the floor below?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 861
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 868
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 872
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 864
Could someone explain what they are actually doing on the first floor of the tower? They seem to have constructed hollow cubes with plywood and then between them placed mountains of rebar and now it looks like they are getting ready to pour concrete over all. I suppose it must be some sort of base for the tower, but what happens to the hollow parts that have been constructed with the plywood cubes? Do they remain as is, or do they serve some other purpose? Or will this form the ceiling of the floor below?

I haven't posted a picture in a while, so here's one from today.

2rylqg2.jpg

The deep slots that can be seen in the formwork will be filled with concrete and rebar to become the huge transfer beams for what is essentially the lowest level of the tower. The space below is the amenity level, so it is entirely possible that some dramatic, high ceilings may result in some rooms.

(Previous Post)
We will see a nice transfer floor at 8th floor as well, with 5-6 foot wide beams, that are about 8 foot deep. with a floor height from 7th-8th of 21' to accommodate these. this will slow things down again for a while while they are transitioning from the lower podium "L" shape to the upper tower, but not as much as the 3rd floor did. since the 3rd floor was a complete grid of beams and much larger footprint.

As with most buildings they change from columns to walls when switching from retail to condo suites, with One Bloor they are using 8' deep x 5-6' wide transfer beams to accomplish this which is what you see in the photos as the cubes that go below the slab with a ton of rebar. To ensure this does not make the 7th floor below unusable they have increased the floor height from 7th-8th to approximately 21'. so even after you have 8' beams you are still left with 13' clear height.

They will however be pouring these large "Transfer Beams" in stages, they will pour about 4' of the beam depth, let it cure, then pour up to the bottom of the slab elevation, let it cure, then pour the entire tower as a 3rd pour 8-10" thick.

Back