3.2K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Last edited:
Deboer's

I think they're going bankrupt ... they're closing in NYCC and I recall reading about them closing all their Ottawa locations.

The owner is retiring after he rec'd an offer he could not refuse on prime property he owns (like NYCC):

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/Fine+furniture+store+bids+farewell/4329803/story.html

Letter sent to previous customers said:

"My family and I have enjoyed serving you over the last 61 years but I received a great offer for the real estate of our largest showrooms and I've decided to retire and close the business..."

They readily admit that most of their furniture is made of particle board or MDF... I don't think I would pay $4,500 for a 6-foot wide particle board bookshelf.

I went to their store in Calgary last time I was there... the stuff is nice, and they have a lot of options to customize each piece of furniture... but yes, very overpriced.

Topshop takes Toronto (again)
The Bay snags UK retailer after all
By Andrew Sardone

http://www.nowtoronto.com/daily/lifestyle/story.cfm?content=179512#

If I’ve ever come close to anything resembling a journalistic scoop in my short career as a hard hitting style reporter, it was being one of the first to know that Jonathan + Olivia on Ossington had landed Topshop. I can still remember the panicked rush I felt when the store tweeted the news a few minutes before our story went live, wondering if all the whispering and tongue biting I endured leading up the announcement had been in vain.

Thankfully, I don’t need to sit on the big secret that the UK based retailer has inked a partnership with The Bay to roll out Topshop
stores across the country. The details have been released today, including that as many as 50 locations could open and Bay CEO
Bonnie Brooks expects a 10 per cent jump in sales from younger shoppers flooding in for fast fashion fixes.

Before the J+O partnership was revealed last May, The Bay was considered the frontrunner to get the Topshop goods. But even after Jonathan+Olivia secured the collection and expanded to accommodate biweekly shipments of cheap and chic merch, some consumers commented that the shopping experience could never match the crowds and selection at a full Topshop store.

It’s obvious now that it was never supposed to and the J+O partnership was about teasing shoppers with the womenswear, Top Man and cosmetics collections before the grand opening, a buzz building strategy the company has employed in other new markets.

As for what happens to the Jonathan+Olivia store-in-store, no word yet from owner Jackie O’Brien but I personally wouldn’t mind a J.Crew pop up within walking distance of my house. Hint hint.

Topman mostly sells ugly crap. Nothing I would ever wear! And their models are awful! I don't think it will do that well here.

H&M and Forever 21 were both enormously successful here therefore Topshop/Topman will be too (the SoHo shop was absolutely hopping). Another nail in the coffin for Le Chateau.

Dirt-cheap, marginally fashionable style is really popular with people under 25 apparently.

Last edited:
It will do very well, no doubt about that. I'm very happy for our wonderful Canadian icon HBC to have landed that :).

I know it's been discussed on here, but when and were is J.CREW opening in the city?

It will do very well, no doubt about that. I'm very happy for our wonderful Canadian icon HBC to have landed that :).

I know it's been discussed on here, but when and were is J.CREW opening in the city?

Opening in Yorkdale in Jacob's spot.

Back