412     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 485     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 2.1K     3 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
The Loblaws at Queen's Quay & Jarvis is now open 24/7. I guess the late night tokers at Sugar Beach now have somewhere to go for their 3am munchies. YEAH!

That makes it 4 24 hour grocery stores in the St. Lawrence area. (Sobey's, Metro, Rabba & Loblaws)

Loblaws seems to be moving a bunch of their stores to 24 hour operation. Oddly enough the one at Empress Market isn't one of them... yet.

Looking at Shopper's website, it's interesting to see how there are a lot of 24 hour stores in midtown (Yonge & Eglinton, Avenue and Lawrence, Dufferin & Lawrence, Don Mills and Lawrence), but only 1 downtown.

If you live downtown, the next closest option is the store at Humber Bay. I would think a location that is 24 hours somewhere around Liberty Village would do good business.

But then again maybe the 24 hour grocery stores have upped their game enough to counter this. Can you get prescriptions filled late at night or does the pharmacy close early?

Even the pharmacy portion is open 24 hours.

I think the one at King and Peter should be open 24 hours, and probably will be once more of the condos in that area are built.

Not sure if this is better for retail or real estate, but the unleased retail unit in Lumiere is going to be a condo sales centre for Menkes

So it turns out that Gant is not opening at Yonge and Eglinton in the old Higher Ground space. Just a plain old Tommy Bahama. There was definitely a 'GANT Coming Soon' sign up there a few weeks ago, and a Gant rep had confirmed that they are in the process of opening a store in Toronto. In fact, here is the job posting...

http://www.styleninetofive.com/jobs/index.php/view/store-manager

If anyone has any other info, please share.

Last edited:
Is XBOX opening up on Queen St W (northside of street across from Steve's)??

Is XBOX opening up on Queen St W (northside of street across from Steve's)??

Yep I saw it this weekend it's very nice ! Looks permanent even though those spaces generally aren't.

Speaking of Queen W ... there are quite a few other vacancies on the stretch east of Spadina where most of the 'main stream' retailers have moved in. Seems like after all the hype a lot of the stores are struggling.

Anyone have more inside information regarding leasing activity in the area ?

I'm guessing the sales the stores get just don't justify the current rental rates even for the main stream guys ...

Yep I saw it this weekend it's very nice ! Looks permanent even though those spaces generally aren't.

Speaking of Queen W ... there are quite a few other vacancies on the stretch east of Spadina where most of the 'main stream' retailers have moved in. Seems like after all the hype a lot of the stores are struggling.

Anyone have more inside information regarding leasing activity in the area ?

I'm guessing the sales the stores get just don't justify the current rental rates even for the main stream guys ...

I haven't seen too many vacancies...I could see Puma setting up shop on Queen W since closing on Bloor.

I haven't seen too many vacancies...I could see Puma setting up shop on Queen W since closing on Bloor.

There are at least 5 or so.

Also I found this very interesting:
http://www.thegridto.com/life/real-estate/know-vacancy-226-queen-st-w/

Not the particular vacancy they're discussing but the quote:

However, fashion retailers in the Queen West area have not done so well over the last few years, and so that plan has been put on hold.â€

Because 210 Simcoe will be in the space for a year—and because, as Veilleux has confirmed, the commercial real-estate market in the Queen West area is particularly fickle

Back