223     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 330     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 2K     2 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Where does everyone go to shop for furniture for your new condo in Toronto? Would you ever shop online?

Muji was disappointing. THere was maybe 2 or 3 things I'd buy?

However, it is crowded since day 1 and the check out line is long as well.
I notice the listed price is a lot higher than the JPY price. For example, a down duvet is sold for $750 when the JPY price is 39500, which is $375, exactly half of the CND price. Same for less expensive items such as bowls and toothbrushes.

I also noticed 80% of customers are east Asians, predominantly Chinese. Asian people like it because it is more Asian style/cutting. I actually need to wear a size M when most size S shirts in Canada are too big/fat for me.

Muji did underestimate the Toronto market. It could be twice the size and will still be popular. Considering all the Asian students at UofT.

However, it is crowded since day 1 and the check out line is long as well.
I notice the listed price is a lot higher than the JPY price. For example, a down duvet is sold for $750 when the JPY price is 39500, which is $375, exactly half of the CND price. Same for less expensive items such as bowls and toothbrushes.

I also noticed 80% of customers are east Asians, predominantly Chinese. Asian people like it because it is more Asian style/cutting. I actually need to wear a size M when most size S shirts in Canada are too big/fat for me.

Muji did underestimate the Toronto market. It could be twice the size and will still be popular. Considering all the Asian students at UofT.

Because of "higher operating costs" the Canadian Munji stores will be smaller, more expensive with less selection, compared to the stores located in Japan and U.S.

Info here. http://www.retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2014/9/muji-8

Checked out Muji yesterday. There’s a step at the entrance from Dundas, which makes the store inaccessible to wheelchair users like myself. I had to enter from the mall entrance. The store was smaller than I had imagined, and was quite squishy with the narrow aisles and crowds of shoppers. Many East Asian shoppers, and an under 40 crowd. Given the small size, there was a pretty wide range of items, however. I hope they eventually offer online sales – due to my disability it’s too difficult for me to get down there and shop.

Checked out Muji yesterday. There’s a step at the entrance from Dundas, which makes the store inaccessible to wheelchair users like myself. I had to enter from the mall entrance. The store was smaller than I had imagined, and was quite squishy with the narrow aisles and crowds of shoppers. Many East Asian shoppers, and an under 40 crowd. Given the small size, there was a pretty wide range of items, however. I hope they eventually offer online sales – due to my disability it’s too difficult for me to get down there and shop.

That location is already a challenge to access from the street for shoppers with mobility issues, due to the nearby narrow sidewalk caused by the subway stairs, so the step at the store entrance is topping on the cake.

Once inside, I imagine that would not be an easy store to navigate in a wheelchair.

This is just below Wellesley by the LCBO.

Application: Sign Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M4Y 1Y5

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 267657 SGN 00 SP Accepted Date: Dec 29, 2014

Project: First Party New

Description: To erect and display one wall sign and one projecting sign, both illuminated. **Dollarama**

This is below Bloor by the Beer Store. Seems like a strange location

TORONTO ON M5S 2T9

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 14 268252 SGN 00 SP Accepted Date: Dec 29, 2014

Description: To erect and display two wall signs. **Nestle Toll House**

This is below Bloor by the Beer Store. Seems like a strange location

TORONTO ON M5S 2T9

Application#: 14 268252 SGN 00 SP Accepted Date: Dec 29, 2014

Description: To erect and display two wall signs. **Nestle Toll House**

UofT crowd, first location in Toronto I think.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5V 2A9

Application#: 14 268614 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Dec 30, 2014

Project: Multiple Unit Building Interior Alterations

Description: Interior alterations to all floors to change use from shelter to retail on ground floor and office on 2nd & 3rd floors.

Back