3.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 617     1 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
In other Atrium news, Black's Photo has closed, which leaves the Eaton Centre shop the closest remaining location.

Black's was taken over by Telus a few years ago.
They just closed the streetfront retail Black's on Robson Street in Vancouver - located in the Telus Building.
So when they close a location in a building with presumably low/no rent - something's wrong with the business.
Signs on the windows said they'll still be on-line.

Muji's Grand Opening at the Atrium will be Saturday, November 29th at 10am. Most of the shelving and fixtures have been installed, and some product has started to arrive.

In other Atrium news, Black's Photo has closed, which leaves the Eaton Centre shop the closest remaining location. Also as expected, the Halloween store has shut down for the year. This means there are currently quite a few vacancies in the building: Black's, Guess on Yonge St. and the former Ontario Travel Information Centre on the Dundas St. side.
I thought that Muji was going in the old Guess location, that's why I was confused to see the signage on the Dundas side.

I thought that Muji was going in the old Guess location, that's why I was confused to see the signage on the Dundas side.

Nope, I was wrong earlier. MUJI is going into the old Black's location with an outside entrance facing Dundas. It's not a big space so this is going to be a small MUJI store... thus don't expect the selection you may see elsewhere like NYC or London.

Was surprised to see Black's closed considering they had only been there for a year or so since moving from the current MUJI space.

If the Atrium is raising rents or whatever to get current tenants out before a major renovation, then why the new MUJI store? and why are all the mom and pop stores still open?

The Spacing Store opened officially at 11 this morning. It's in the 401 Richmond complex and is bonkers good.

10723754_872129982832012_336475436_n.jpg

Attachments

• 10723754_872129982832012_336475436_n.jpg
    10723754_872129982832012_336475436_n.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 799
Drake is bringing his OVO clothing brand to a bricks-and-mortar storefront on Dundas St. W., just in time for the holiday shopping season.
The Toronto-born rapper shared a photo with his almost seven million Instagram followers this week, showing a portion of a building featuring OVO’s distinctive owl logo, along with the promise: “OVO Store opening soon.â€

http://t.thestar.com/#/article/entertainment/2014/11/25/drake_expected_to_open_ovo_store_in_toronto.html

Building Application Status

Application:
Sign Permit
Inspection

TORONTO M6J 1V9

Ward 19: Trinity-Spadina

Application#:
14 240283 SGN 00 SP
Issued Date:
Oct 29, 2014

Project:
First Party New

Description:
To erect and display one illuminated wall sign (cut-out of an owl). **October's Very Own**

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 1,690
I think MUJI will find that they underestimated the Canadian market. The brand is completely well known in these parts, despite not having a single store until now. Also, due to Canadians travelling internationally (statistically more so than Americans) and the large Asian community in many of our cities also bodes well for bigger stores down the road.

I think MUJI will find that they underestimated the Canadian market. The brand is completely well known in these parts, despite not having a single store until now. Also, due to Canadians travelling internationally (statistically more so than Americans) and the large Asian community in many of our cities also bodes well for bigger stores down the road.

I don't think they've under-estimated. This store is actually larger than their NYC stores (chelsea and soho are both 3200 square feet). I think the demand for Muji will be huge, but they don't seem to open giant stores in North America. (This may have to do with them not carrying grocery and food items and I wonder if that may have to do with import/export and labeling concerns more so than demand). Muji's US stores have gotten progressively larger. The quote that Muji Toronto is smaller than their US stores (not sure where it originated) isn't entirely true.

It's also the product selection available in Canada vis-à-vis the U.S. too.

THat sucks. Although I do wonder if its less about a miss understanding the market or its regulatory... are there products that become cost prohibitive to bring into Canada (For labeling or content reasons) or where margins are too small that they don't justify importing... (I tend to not think companies are irrational and stupid, although I could be wrong :)

Back