Toronto Nobu Residences Toronto | 156.66m | 45s | Madison Group | Teeple Architects

I think they should create a new building design now that they took the bridge out ! It doesn't look appealing it actually look ugly!

Interesting perspective guys. Blame the city for toning down a proposed height and density that was inappropriate for the site. It's not their fault the developer asked for far too much and choose to hack off the top rather than redesign it to the slightly better scale.

Height doesn't create greatness.

Interesting perspective guys. Blame the city for toning down a proposed height and density that was inappropriate for the site. It's not their fault the developer asked for far too much and choose to hack off the top rather than redesign it to the slightly better scale.

Height doesn't create greatness.
Ok, we know that you're a low-rise fan boy, whats your take on Gehry/Mirvish getting the necessary approvals in this inappropriate area??

The area could use some more adventurous designs seeing it is the Entertainment district. I'm not so bothered by a reduction in height but it's a step down in design I do agree, and very much in danger of being just more run-of-the-mill glass point towers. I like the heritage component at the base and the twin towers do seem to have a slender profile at least, which does hold a little appeal at least.

Ok, we know that you're a low-rise fan boy, whats your take on Gehry/Mirvish getting the necessary approvals in this inappropriate area??

Not true. I like consistency. Architecture aside, that stretch of Wellington on this block between John and Blue Jays Way is about as Manhattan as it gets in Toronto. How the OMB justifies height by looking at the precedence set by towers several block away is just not my type of thing. I don't care for the haphazard, the always transitioning, appearance everywhere or, the alternative, point towers on perimeter block podiums.

This, of course, is of little consequence. The revised height shouldn't be used as rationalization for change from an "O" to a "U". It was a cheap thrill anyways for a giant slab of a skyscraper. Yeah, it's still junk.

BOXTORONTO ! that's what this city's new structures have become. Why! Let's see some more rooftops etc on top of buildings instead of the flat look. These buildings need to have more character for the downtown core.

I'm amused at the outrage at the city because of the loss of the "O". Be angry at the developer. The Waterlink condos are much shorter, and yet somehow the they managed to budget in cantilevered bridge floors from one to the other. Madison is being cheap, or they paid too much money for the land.

BOXTORONTO ! that's what this city's new structures have become. Why! Let's see some more rooftops etc on top of buildings instead of the flat look. These buildings need to have more character for the downtown core.

I see Toronto as a bunch of developers and planners scrambling to take advantage of the gazillion people pouring into the city every year in need of housing.:confused:

"We need more boxes! GO GO GO GO GO!". The designs look nice at first then get completely bastardized to look like a basic glass box. Powers that be have no clue what makes cities great and interesting. It sure as hell isn't some stupid boxes.

I'm amused at the outrage at the city because of the loss of the "O". Be angry at the developer. The Waterlink condos are much shorter, and yet somehow the they managed to budget in cantilevered bridge floors from one to the other. Madison is being cheap, or they paid too much money for the land.

Why can't we be mad at both? Same song and dance.

Why can't we be mad at both? Same song and dance.

I'm going to repeat what's been said a million times, but there are height limits in our zoning for a reason. If they approved the "O" at 70 storeys, they would have had to allow inferior buildings at 70 storeys because that's how the OMB makes decisions. We'd end up with a crop of hideous 70 storey spandrel condos. They would look especially bad because they would stick out over the 30-40ish storey condos that are there now.

If it were up to me, we'd have a development permit system with a mandatory design review panel, and great 70-storey condos would get approved for the Entertainment District, but that's not how our planning system works, and it never will, unfortunately. So, I guess if you're going to be upset at someone on the public side, be upset at the Province and its legal system. If you give somebody 70 storeys, you have to give everybody 70 storeys.

Back