Toronto Nobu Residences Toronto | 156.66m | 45s | Madison Group | Teeple Architects

Dude, take a happy pill and stop making it out like it only happens in Toronto. It happens everywhere. The O was as audacious a rezoning application as 2 Carlton. The U is still pretty damn bold to put forth.

I m sad that the U is gone.
It was so creative and outstanding for the district.
What do you want folks, It Toronto !
When something is outstanding here,it must become boring and standard.
Ridiculous !

Dude, take a happy pill and stop making it out like it only happens in Toronto. It happens everywhere. The O was as audacious a rezoning application as 2 Carlton. The U is still pretty damn bold to put forth.

I get what you mean because of your reference to 2 Carlton, but I'm not sure 'bold' is the word I'd use for this...

lol wut? That's inaccurate. When there's a bad design people almost always blame the developer or architects first. ie. G+C, P+S, etc.

People blame the city when a good design is reduced to something not so good.

The height reduction is definitely to appease City Planning and Councillor Cressy.

I assume the bridge is gone because it's no longer affordable. When the size of a project gets cut, the developer has to take more per unit to pay for bolder, more expensive architectural gestures. If they figure the burden on each unit will make their price unappealing and therefore a tough sell, they have to cut the gestures. Anyway, that's my guess, along with the bridge having next to no point if it doesn't rise above other buildings in the area: if you can't see the bridge on the skyline, that's an expensive frill to build for little return.

The height reduction is definitely to appease City Planning and Councillor Cressy.

I assume the bridge is gone because it's no longer affordable. When the size of a project gets cut, the developer has to take more per unit to pay for bolder, more expensive architectural gestures. If they figure the burden on each unit will make their price unappealing and therefore a tough sell, they have to cut the gestures. Anyway, that's my guess, along with the bridge having next to no point if it doesn't rise above other buildings in the area: if you can't see the bridge on the skyline, that's an expensive frill to build for little return.

So in other words... the city is to blame for the bad design?

It's certainly a contributing factor. A "thank you" to the pretty much unavoidable OMB tabletop is in order too.

So in other words... the city is to blame for the bad design?

In a certain point, it true that the city is guilty for the bad design.
When a project got a height reduction,It mean less profit for the developers.
So less profit is equal to less expensive architecture and so the quality will suffer.
This is the case 90% of time.
Unfortunately this is one big reason why our architecture is bad and boring much.
The city should be more open minded to extraordinary design and architecture.
It just sad that almost every extraordinary project become bland and repetitive.
They are not ready for the change again.

Back