Toronto Nobu Residences Toronto | 156.66m | 45s | Madison Group | Teeple Architects

I'm going to repeat what's been said a million times, but there are height limits in our zoning for a reason. If they approved the "O" at 70 storeys, they would have had to allow inferior buildings at 70 storeys because that's how the OMB makes decisions. We'd end up with a crop of hideous 70 storey spandrel condos. They would look especially bad because they would stick out over the 30-40ish storey condos that are there now.

If it were up to me, we'd have a development permit system with a mandatory design review panel, and great 70-storey condos would get approved for the Entertainment District, but that's not how our planning system works, and it never will, unfortunately. So, I guess if you're going to be upset at someone on the public side, be upset at the Province and its legal system. If you give somebody 70 storeys, you have to give everybody 70 storeys.

What I'm saying is the system is broken...and needs to be fixed ASAP. Many mistakes were made some years ago and it seems like those same mistakes are being repeated. It seems that there isn't much thought being put into anything besides housing a wack of people and worrying about shadows. We're rebuilding the entertainment district with a bunch of mediocre looking buildings so we can feel good about our height restrictions.

I'm upset at everyone, btw...

What I'm saying is the system is broken...and needs to be fixed ASAP. Many mistakes were made some years ago and it seems like those same mistakes are being repeated. It seems that there isn't much thought being put into anything besides housing a wack of people and worrying about shadows. We're rebuilding the entertainment district with a bunch of mediocre looking buildings so we can feel good about our height restrictions.

I'm upset at everyone, btw..

I AGREE RIGHT ON ! There's only a few good buildings that have been built so far. Everything's about quantity not quality. Bad looking facades!

Last edited by a moderator:
If the original "O" proposal had never existed, a lot of you probably wouldn't be whining so much about the current proposal.

...making us some combination of human and/or hungry for higher quality design in the city. So blasphemous, we whiny lot!

...making us some combination of human and/or hungry for higher quality design in the city. So blasphemous, we whiny lot!

Is this really that bad?

Untitled.png

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 390
Our favourite member urbandreamer is reporting on Twitter that Nobu will be the hotel operator in this development

We can confirm this is going to be a Nobu Hotel, Restaurant and Condo

Hotel will be a small portion that is going to occupy the top 5 floors in one of the towers

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I had to google it. Looks like a brand new chain named after a chef which I do know from him cooking up exotic, endangered animals. (or so they say)

Back