News   Jul 16, 2024
 336     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 444     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

Becoming a full blown province would be difficult, but what about becoming a territory or some kind of special autonomous region?
I'm no lawyer or constitutional scholar but I did find this:

http://lawiscool.com/2010/03/27/how-to-secede-from-ontario/

If true, while a constitutional amendment might be best, it may not be the only way forward. Regardless though, I don't think going all the way through to a full secession is required. What is needed is enough support and momentum that it forces the province to sit down and negotiate a way to give Toronto some form of semi-autonomy within Ontario.

Edited to add:

Some info on how this has played out in the past:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposal_for_the_Province_of_Toronto

If you read through to the end it indicates that the last time we tried this was largely responsible for the City of Toronto Act. Maybe time to start pushing again.
^This! Haven't accessed the links yet, but will immediately. Had to comment on how you're finding a way to effect change. This is ultimately what Keesmaat will have to do, and ostensibly will.

Excellent digging btw! I'll comment later after reading your links.

Edit to Add: Unfortunately, both links describe suppositions, not fact.

[What is needed is enough support and momentum that it forces the province to sit down and negotiate a way to give Toronto some form of semi-autonomy within Ontario.]
This!

Last edited:
I live in one of those suburban wards and my councillor supports what Doug Ford is doing.

I think a lot of these councillors are just kissing ass. The ones who don't have strong opposition will love it because it's so hard for a newbie to win. I think that if they're going to cut the number of councillors they're also going to have to have term limits, otherwise we'll never get new blood.

I will vote for Tory, he has done a lot and seems to have energy and enthusiasm for the position. As for him knowing about Ford's idea for some time, it is more than plausible that he simply doesn't believe half of what alchy-in-chief Dougie says - that's a good strategy. Ford is beyond a loose cannon, he's a loose nuclear weapon, I would love to see the backroom discussions that got him the nod as leader of the conservatives, the less charitable side says it's because he was the only "male" candidate. As for Layton as usual just sits around being bitchy, why doesn't he take up knitting or something, you know so his time in council will be useful.
I really think Toronto needs to be it's own administrative centre, not really a province but a city-state. We have world wide standing and going thru the province for every little thing, planning, migrant support, economic growth, is too time consuming. If Ford really thinks about streamlining the process then that should include the doubling of so many things between the GTA and the rest of the province. Toronto, Canada sounds so much better than Toronto, Ontario - bring on the revolution!!!!!

What has he done? To me he is a decent speaker but doesn't come across as overly sincere. He feigns anger frequently. He makes comments like "gun violence is unacceptable" as if there are other options. A one stop, 6 km subway that passes thousands of people isn't exactly smart. He won't give out the latest costs for it because he knows they keep climbing. So what's he done?

What has he done? To me he is a decent speaker but doesn't come across as overly sincere. He feigns anger frequently. He makes comments like "gun violence is unacceptable" as if there are other options. A one stop, 6 km subway that passes thousands of people isn't exactly smart. He won't give out the latest costs for it because he knows they keep climbing. So what's he done?
He has started some long over due discussions about transit, it is a long game and transit isn't the only game in town. He co-ordinated work on construction projects which previously had been all over the place. He has had realistic reaction to horrible events, not like the last you-know-what who was too busy sidling up to the drug dealers to know the city was horrified. He has acknowledged the whole city and been available to the "burbs" in the same way and with the same enthusiasm as any Jazz festival downtown. He has put into place a poverty reduction strategy. It is true that he comments about everything but why should enthusiasm be a bad thing? I would rather a mayor been on the radio or tv at 7am than on the evening news in a questionable video with questionable friends.
The real next step I think is that we as a city have to control our own development, we can't keep going cap in hand to the feds or whomever.

He has started some long over due discussions about transit, it is a long game and transit isn't the only game in town. He co-ordinated work on construction projects which previously had been all over the place. He has had realistic reaction to horrible events, not like the last you-know-what who was too busy sidling up to the drug dealers to know the city was horrified. He has acknowledged the whole city and been available to the "burbs" in the same way and with the same enthusiasm as any Jazz festival downtown. He has put into place a poverty reduction strategy. It is true that he comments about everything but why should enthusiasm be a bad thing? I would rather a mayor been on the radio or tv at 7am than on the evening news in a questionable video with questionable friends.
The real next step I think is that we as a city have to control our own development, we can't keep going cap in hand to the feds or whomever.
If you think I'm a Ford fan, you're way off base.

Which side will John Tory be on?

Almost half of Torontonians disapprove of both Premier Doug Ford and his plan to dramatically shrink the size of city council, while only a third are in favour of the ward reduction, according to a new poll.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ds-plan-to-slash-city-council-poll-finds.html

Also interesting to see how far behind Keesmaat is starting off in the Core of the City.

"Bozinoff notes that Keesmaat faces an uphill battle, however. Tory’s approval ratings have been consistently high, including in the core of Toronto — Keesmaat’s current base of support — where 64 per cent of people said he had their vote, nearly twice as many as the 36 per cent who leaned towards Keesmaat."

Last edited:
Meanwhile, 70 per cent of Torontonians say they would vote for Mayor John Tory if an election were held today, giving him a commanding lead over last-minute mayoral candidate Jennifer Keesmaat, who had the support of 30 per cent of survey respondents.

Good numbers for Tory. Did they not mention any other candidates in the poll?

Warmington is going all on on Faith Goldy. He told her to denounce the Nazis and she straight up ignored him. What a sad man...

Tory's support on the first day he entered the mayor's race in February 2014, was 27%...

Yeah, it is still very early.

Last edited:
Yeah, it is still very early.

Very different circumstances though. Tory had a lot to gain in the middle and some opportunistic worried Left voter last election. Keesmaat will take back the Ford blockers but there is little room to knock off Tory from any moderates unless she does a 180 and changes her tone completely when her platform is announced and she wont put a dent into Fords base which now shifts to Tory. If anything Ford nation voters outnumber the losses from the anti-Ford Tory vote. This one wont be close.

If she gets 20 to 25% City wide vote id see that as significant enough to be a serious contender in 2022 without Tory. Whether in a 3 way race or head to head with a Fordnation type candidate.

Last edited:

Good points. Ive personally noticed Tory shows up for almost every event out here in Scarborough and obviously all areas of the City his whole tenure which is optically nice of a Mayor to be so close and available to the people across the entire amalgamated City. He supports projects in alignment with what the local people impacted the most support. He is a great ambassador who at least tries to say the right things in tough circumstances and I can sympathise with him on some key topics that are under attack as hes the face of a council where he is barely more than one vote. Most of Fordnation complains about him, most of Keesmaat nation complains about him on the opposing end. Id say that's the best sign hes doing a very good job navigating a polarized City.

Last edited:
Which side will John Tory be on?

Almost half of Torontonians disapprove of both Premier Doug Ford and his plan to dramatically shrink the size of city council, while only a third are in favour of the ward reduction, according to a new poll.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ds-plan-to-slash-city-council-poll-finds.html

Same pollster in 2015 52% support reduction, just 27% oppose council reduction to 22 Coucnillors

http://poll.forumresearch.com/post/2449/more-than-half-want-term-limits-for-mayor-and-councillors

The number fall directly in line with the Stars commentary around that time and now vice versa

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/com...tos_dysfunctional_city_hall_needs_reform.html

Last edited:

Back