News   Jul 15, 2024
 474     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 627     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 576     0 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

No, I meant what improvements can she take credit for?

There havent been any improvements to Humber Bay, so she cant take any credit for improvements that never happened in the first place. If you're talking about city wide, than there are a few things she can take credit for (ie: TO Core, expanded bike lanes to an extent, East Bayfront, Regent Park and Alexandria Park rationalizations just to name a few things). I'm just stating the obvious things that she has done during her time as chief planner, obviously she has her flaws as well just like anyone.

As I said... her office said the go station wasn’t required. That’s why there’s a minimum 5 year delay on that right now.

I can blame her for fucking that up. And giving me and my colleagues a lot of work to do.

Either way she will lose and lose hard. She’s very unpopular outside the downtown core and we all know the downtown core doesn’t call elections here.
The reason why there is a delay with Park Lawn is due largely to Metrolinx and the incompetence of Stephen Del Duca as Minister of Transportation. Del Duca regularly interfered in Metrolinx's affairs and caused approvals in projects that didnt need approval, while delaying other ones. Metrolinx (under the guidance of their chief planner Leslie Woo) time and time again came up with the conclusion that Humber Bay didn't need a station with their flawed "analysis" which rejected a few other stations that should have proceeded as well.

Keesmaat didn't need to give Metrolinx the blessing for that, Metrolinx was already intent on rejecting it with or without her. What city planning did obviously didn't help matters, but to say that Metrolinx rejected the Park Lawn GO station because of Keesmaat is just false.

There havent been any improvements to Humber Bay, so she cant take any credit for improvements that never happened in the first place. If you're talking about city wide, than there are a few things she can take credit for (ie: TO Core, expanded bike lanes to an extent, East Bayfront, Regent Park and Alexandria Park rationalizations just to name a few things). I'm just stating the obvious things that she has done during her time as chief planner, obviously she has her flaws as well just like anyone.

The reason why there is a delay with Park Lawn is due largely to Metrolinx and the incompetence of Stephen Del Duca as Minister of Transportation. Del Duca regularly interfered in Metrolinx's affairs and caused approvals in projects that didnt need approval, while delaying other ones. Metrolinx (under the guidance of their chief planner Leslie Woo) time and time again came up with the conclusion that Humber Bay didn't need a station with their flawed "analysis" which rejected a few other stations that should have proceeded as well.

Keesmaat didn't need to give Metrolinx the blessing for that, Metrolinx was already intent on rejecting it with or without her. What city planning did obviously didn't help matters, but to say that Metrolinx rejected the Park Lawn GO station because of Keesmaat is just false.
They most certainly did not. When a regional transit agency is looking to add an infill city station they’ll obviously revert to city planning for direction. If planning says not required - you think they’ll disagree and spend scarce transit dollars on building a station that’s unnecessary? For this great planner and visionary she’s made out to be - that’s a pretty poor example of vision and direction.

She’s not the reason it was rejected. There are numerous reasons I’m sure we can all agree. However she’s a big reason. Just like most Scarberians blame her for the subway extension delays.

They most certainly did not. When a regional transit agency is looking to add an infill city station they’ll obviously revert to city planning for direction. If planning says not required - you think they’ll disagree and spend scarce transit dollars on building a station that’s unnecessary?
I dont even think we can say that Metrolinx "obviously reverts to city planning for direction" if they are looking to add infill stations. If that were the case, there would be GO stations everywhere in Toronto, and we wouldnt have had to come up with this SmartTrack scheme/moniker. Toronto has been asking Metrolinx/GO Transit to add stations in the city for ions; it isnt an idea that just came out out of the sky 4 years ago.

I think Tory is playing us, or least trying to. This is probably something he's okay with, and feigning anger.

He is also likely very happy Lastman bowed out and threw him support. I'd also be naïve to think Lastmans quick withdrawal wasn't based on the early tip council would be reduced and the Left would have a few spare higher profile candidates available to run for Mayor. Vote splitting with Tory even against a candidate like Keesmaat might have been risky.

Keesmaat should get the "progressive" vote. I wonder who Ford Nation types will support.

Tory will slide more to the Right of Centre. He was playing to the Left a bit more than usual when Ford was in the race and no Left candidate. He has the name recognition, the low tax wealthy voter, all moderate voters, now has a heavy majority of the Right voters, and likely the a good chunk of the suburban Left vote. If Keesmaat receives around 25% of the vote I think that would be a very good showing for her and there might be hope for another run next election. Under 20% and I'm not sure she'll be the darling going into the next election.

Ford Nation types were told to vote Tory when Lastman bowed out and threw his support back to Tory this week. Automatic 20-30% support just for that alone. Keesmaat would have only had a slim chance if Ford was still in the race. I don't think itll even be close here

Last edited:
He is also likely very happy Lastman bowed out and threw him support. I'd also be naïve to think Lastmans quick withdrawal wasn't based on the early tip council would be reduced and the Left would have a few spare higher profile candidates available to run for Mayor. Vote splitting with Tory even against a candidate like Keesmaat might have been risky.
I don’t think anyone, least of all Tory, considered Lastman to be a credible threat. But he did add a chaos factor that Tory surely doesn’t mind seeing disappear.

I don’t think anyone, least of all Tory, considered Lastman to be a credible threat. But he did add a chaos factor that Tory surely doesn’t mind seeing disappear.

Agree. But he was a threat to take some Ford Nation voters. So Tory now holds that massive base to himself.

Back